Basement Bathroom Design Update

At the end of December, I dropped a bomb post stating I was certifiably insane. Yup, I started another bathroom renovation, but it was necessary. That basement bathroom was so dingy and yuck; there was no excuse not to update it. As long as we’re getting dusty and Gerry and his crew was at the house anyway, why not knock it all out, right? Bring out the sledgehammer guys! Let’s get to work!

Basement bathroom update with Clé Tile white subway tile and black penny rounds.

If you thought Potty Paradise was small, well, the basement bathroom might have an even smaller footprint. It didn’t take a lot to demolish this room. Case in point.  Toilet. Gone. Sink. Gone. Vanity. Gone. Towel bar. Gone. Boom.

Bathroom Demo

I told The Boy I wanted to remove a soffit to hang pretty brass pendant lighting. He said there was no way, but I pressed on and poked the bear. In these types of situations, when I really want something, I’m like a dog with a bone. Finally he gave in and said, “do what you want…ask Gerry.” Guess what Gerry said…let’s hammer into it and take a peek at what’s up there. Who knows, it might just be decorative? Ya buddy! Guess what…IT WAS DECORATIVE! Peace out 80’s soffit. Bring on the pretty lighting!

As mentioned in the last basement bathroom update post, this space wouldn’t have the glam shazam look of Potty Paradise. This design would be more of a modern take on a classic look. But doesn’t mean the design can’t smash it. Once again, I looked to Clé Tile for white subway to accent the walls and their black penny rounds on the floor. How much more classic can you get than that, am I right?

Basement Bathroom Renovation Moodboard and Inspiration

Before the penny tile install could happen, the floor needed to be leveled which proved to be a pain in the arse, but Gerry knew if it wasn’t perfectly level, those penny rounds wouldn’t lay right. I love that I found a contractor who pays attention to every detail. I also love him for being so understanding when I say things like, “Hey Gerry, your boots look awesome on that tile! Don’t move a move, I gotta grab my phone!”

Black penny round tile - Clé Tile - bathroom flooring

How yummy is this tile??? Clé Tile’s website suggested using a neutral gray grout, and ultimately we went with that. Though I was tempted to be really edgy and use black grout, I wasn’t sure how Instagrammable black on black would be. Ummm, ya, Instagramming my shoes was really a grout decision factor. I’m such and Insta dork. After Pinterest searching black grout on black tile for hours, I played it safe.

Once the penny rounds set, it was onto the walls. I probably mentioned this before, but I have a young boy who’s aim isn’t always awesome. White subway from Clé Tile to the wall rescue. Behold Gerry, tile layer extraordinaire. Look at that precision!

White subway tile from Clé Tile was installed on the walls.

We finished the tile off with the same brass edging we used in Potty Paradise, and I’m becoming quite obsessed with it. Like I kinda wanna edge everything in brass. Can we all take a pause and oooh and ahhhh over this scene just for a minute?

White subway tile and black penny round tile on the floor all from Clé Tile. Brass edging for trim.

Next up is the wallpaper install. I have to thank my girl Laura for the recommendation. Also, this dude was as nervous as a cat in a bathtub when I said I was a blogger and was about to take pictures of the process.

Palm Frond Silouette Wallpaper from Anthopologie Install

After a couple panels went up, he got comfy with the camera and figured out I was focusing more on the wallpaper anyway. Speaking of wallpaper………ERMERGERD!!!!!

Palm Frond Silouette Wallpaper from Anthopologie Installation

The palm fronds have brass stems, and that really picks up the brass edging (it’s also removable, so if you’re a renter…this whole wallpaper adventure is actually possible). Potty Paradise just got some competition for prettiest potty in the nation. And how about that brass pendant lighting? BTDubs, that lighting is presently on sale (and in this photo, it’s missing the bottom half of the globe).

My son has yet to name this bathroom, so far he’s only deemed The Boy’s band Spark Diaper…that consists of him and his hunting buddy Tony. (They’re big in the Netherlands. LOL.) If you have a name for the basement bathroom, I’m all ears! Bring it on.

Before I wrap up, I need some help finding the perfect mirror. I have an antique wooden ladder I’m thinking of using for holding turkish hand towels in the space. What do you think…a wood mirror? Black mirror? Brass mirror? It’s home will be over a simple white pedestal sink. I would love to hear your opinions because I honestly haven’t a clue. Whatever it is, it’s got to be small. Like no bigger than 17″ wide. Eeeep. That’s teeny tiny. Comment below with your suggestions.

1. Catherine January 23, 2017

Omg it’s looking so good. The black, white and brass combo is solo good! I personally think a brass mirror would look awesome to pick up the accents but wood is also sounding preeettyy interesting. Can’t wait to see the final!

• kyla January 24, 2017

Who knew a mirror decision would be so difficult. Everything else in the space was easy peasy. I knew right away. But this mirror…ARGH! Thanks for stopping over Catherine!

2. Jo@La Boheme January 23, 2017

Omg! AMAZE! Brass mirror 100%! Or a gorgeous ornate wood to bring in a natural element & add some warmth? That wallpaper & the brass edging!???

• kyla January 24, 2017

AH! I love your reaction to the space! It’s the absolute best. Thank you soooooo much for stopping over and checking it out. Much love!

3. Ellisa January 23, 2017

Brass is good but safe. The wallpaper is statement enough but I’m thinking you could find an interesting vintage mirror for that spot. Maybe brass AND wood?

• kyla January 24, 2017

Brass and wood would be the bomb. I’m going on an Etsy search.

4. Jessica January 23, 2017

Dang girl! You have serious bathroom game. it looks so good!

• kyla January 24, 2017

I’m declaring (after one 2 bathroom designs ever) that I LOVE DESIGNING BATHROOMS! Can I just do that for the rest of my life? LOL

5. Meg January 23, 2017

I Subway tile. Your design is bold and lovely. LOVE the floor tile.

• kyla January 24, 2017

Thanks Meg! That wallpaper really adds a bold element. Take it away and it’s a totally different look. Thanks for stopping by!

6. Becky @ Daly Digs January 23, 2017

Loooovee the wallpaper! Especially that brass stem detail. What about a pop of color in your mirror?
    Love your blog! 🙂

• kyla January 24, 2017

Becky you’re the sweetest1 Thank you! And hmmmmm, never thought of adding color with the mirror. That would add some playfulness to the space. Great suggestion.

7. Libby J January 23, 2017

What about a bamboo mirror, something like this? https://www.etsy.com/listing/492019868/antique-french-wooden-faux-bamboo-mirror?ref=market

• kyla January 24, 2017

That one is pretty! Might be a contender.

8. Mary January 23, 2017

I like the idea of using a vintage wooden mirror. The wood will add a nice warmth. And the vintage aspect is a nice juxtaposition to the modern elements. It’s all about the mix.
    It may take some time to find the perfect mirror. Be patient, grasshopper.

• kyla January 24, 2017

Being patient is not one of my virtues LOL, but you’re totally right. Must hold out for the perfect piece.

9. Maya January 24, 2017

Love all of it, especially the brass edging and the wallpaper!

How about an art deco mirror? Something like this? https://www.etsy.com/listing/498503313/vintage-art-deco-bevelled-fan-shape?ref=shop_home_active_45

10. […] that’s resided inside my head transforms into reality. AHHHHH! Last Monday, I shared the tile and wallpaper install in the basement bathroom, and today I’m sharing the Karndean vinyl flooring install. It looks incredible, and […]

11. Mary January 26, 2017

Ermergerd would be the perfect name for that bathroom.

12. Jeanene January 26, 2017

I say frameless so it just reflects the amazing wallpaper or minimal frame:

13. Jennifer Worley February 5, 2017

love the brass wainscot tile cap idea! what product did you use? inspiration!

14. Paulette Insall February 6, 2017

Oh my I’m in total love with penny round tile! Your bathroom is looking fabulous!

15. Dani February 8, 2017

WOW it’s looking awesome. I like very much the floor of this bathroom!!!

16. Laura Irion February 28, 2017

I have been so excited about this bathroom!!!! That wallpaper is seriously beyond…ALL of it is tho! Thanks for the mention friend. You’re crushing this. Can’t wait to see more. xo!!!!