Last Updated on February 12, 2024
TikTok’s mob wife aesthetic has gone viral in the fashion world, and lemme tell you, I’m here for the glam! This winter, we are saying goodbye to the clean girl, quiet luxury trend, and hello to Carmela Soprano. We’re talkin’ leopard print (although any animal print will do), faux fur coats, gold jewelry, oversized sunglasses, and red lipstick. Yes, fashion trends come and go, but I rounded up over 40 pieces and 4 complete outfit ideas to inspire you to enter the mob wife era and make Gen Z proud.
I blame my love of vintage for my love of the new mob wife aesthetic trend. Funny enough, I’ve been rocking the look for years (receipts are below). My muses are Carmela Soprano and Ginger McKenna (Sharon Stone in Casino) because they have that full glam 1960s – 1970s bouncy hair, New Jersey meets Staten Island mob wife energy.
Yes, I dressed up as a Real Housewife of New Jersey a few years ago.
Table of Contents
First Mob Wife Look — Black On Black Leather
We all know the mob wife is the real underboss of the family. Fuggedabout Frank. For the first fashion trend look, I’m channeling girl boss style—black leather pants, faux leather jackets, and diamonds. Think Victoria Gotti (daughter of John Gotti) in her head-to-toe black clothes.
- Black Bodysuit — This simple, versatile, basic layering piece doesn’t apply solely to the mob wife trend. If you don’t own a bodysuit, you should. No more untucked tanks.
- Black Faux Leather Pants — I wear the heck outta these faux leather leggings. These are by Spanx and squeak in under $100. I dress them up for date night or pair them with an oversized sweatshirt for a more cazh look.. Super versatile, classic, and comfy too! These faux leather leggings by Commando fit great as well.
- Black Boots With Gold Buckle Detail — I bought these boots in NY last fall, and I wear them all the time. They feel less chunky than a Chelsey boot, are super comfy, and have a side zipper, so you do not have to lace them up every time you want to wear them.
- Faux Leather Jacket with Fur Trim – You can’t go wrong with faux leather jackets, and this fluffy fur-lined coat is extra cozy and costs under $100. This is more of a sleek and chic look. If a black faux fur coat is what you desire, click on that link instead.
- Pink Shimmer Lipstick — Victoria Gotti rocks a nude lip with a bit of shimmer (not red lipstick), so I will reach for my blush, which also doubles as a lip and eye stick. It’s the Multiple Cream by Nars in Orgasm—a sheer peachy pink with golden shimmer.
- Diamond Studs — Victoria Gotti, is normally photographed wearing diamond studs and a simple silver pendant necklace. If my OOTD is mob wife fashion, I’m drawn to gawdy earrings, so I might wear an oversized gold statement earring. Check out these rhinestone hoop earrings if you’re looking for something in between. (Gold Statement Heart earrings can be found here, but they are vintage so hurry.)
- Smoky Eyes – My go-to smoky eyeshadow is Charlotte Tilbury’s Luxury Eyeshadow Palette in The Rock Chick because it doesn’t crease (Over 40 here, IYKYK) and has a great pigment. A little goes a long way.
- Virgins, Saints & Angels Ring — Even though I’m not a church going gal, I’m obsessed with the Miraculous Vibes Ring. It brings in a touch of the catholic church (Connie Corleone approved) without wearing a cross. You know, because if I were a member of an organized crime family, I’d probably need to repent for a few sins. If this ring is out of your price range, check out this set of 12 gold stackable rings for under $20.
- French Manicure — Because we are dressed in black from head to toe and a nude lip, let’s go with a simple French mani, and if you need press-ons, these are my favorites.
- Oversized Sunglasses — Maybe it’s because I wear glasses daily, but I’m kind of a snob when it comes to sunnies. This is a luxury pair, but I did force myself to include a couple of affordable pairs. Can you spot them without looking?
- Chanel Black Lambskin Half Flap Small Bag — Ya, this is one of those break-the-bank pieces, but I would be doing a disservice if I didn’t include it in the mob wife aesthetic. However, I did find this one in the What Comes Around Goes Around section of Shopbop. I also highly suggest perusing The RealReal for steals and deals.
Leopard Print And Lots of Leather
For the second look, I’m thinking loud luxury meets maximalist style and big hair with voluminous curls that are a little bit messy. This is where you wanna pull out those oversized Gucci sunnies you bought years ago or anything with double Cs — I’m talkin’ Chanel baby. If you don’t have loud luxury, please don’t buy it; there are ways around it. Break out the capo dei capi (boss of all bosses) coat—the vintage leopard print faux fur and gold jewelry.
- Leopard Print Jacket – this is one I feel you can splurge on if it’s in the budget because leopard print is like black, it’s a neutral in my book. And if you buy a classic silhouette, it will stay in style for years to come.
- Black Silk Cami — This silk camisole is giving a Elvira Hancock vibe. If you want a little extra for the evening, try this one with a cowl neckline.
- Faux Leather Split Front Pants — The split front leg is great for showing off a killer pair of heels.
- Black Leather Gloves — I don’t mind the $100 price point here because these are cashmere lined to keep my fingers warm in the winter months with touchscreen-compatible fingertips, so you can still use your phone.
- Black Chanel Slash Bottega Venetta Style Bag — if you have the real deal quilted Chanel bag, this is the outfit you wanna pair it with, but if not, don’t fret. Not all of us can be married to Tony Soprano. This look for less will save you a pretty penny.
- Gold Necklace — With a cowl neckline, I would not overaccessorize with the gold jewelry (rarely said when pulling off). A simple gold chain like this or a paperclip chain necklace would work well with this cami — if you read my Fall Fashion Trends post, you probably already own one.
- Vintage Rhinestone Earrings – you can find rhinestone earrings of every shape and size at almost any estate sale, flea market, or antique mall. If you don’t want to wait, give my friend Lauren from Kimono Dragon NYC a shout. Those heart chandelier earrings are from her. I’m totally going to regret sharing these with you. If they’re sold, try these crystal drop earrings.
- Studded Black Heels — The mob wife aesthetic is all about HEELS, and these studded heels are giving Valentino without the high price tag.
- Red Lipstick — pick any Hollywood siren red you have on hand. I linked to this one because of the leopard print tube.
- Red Nails — I’m a press-on girlie, and I wear these short nail press-ons at least once a month. Last year’s tomato girls got me on this trend.
- Oversized Sunglasses — Let’s play high or low…what’s your guess? Did you get it right?
RELATED: For bouncy hair and voluminous curls, checkout my honest review of the Dyson Airwrap and how it works on my fine hair.
Mob Wife Casual Winter Wear
Who says you can’t wear big fur coats to the grocery store? You know Teresa Giudice would! When the aesthetic calls, I answer, but Imma take this new trend and flip it on its side for a more casual look mob wife look.
- Faded NY Yankees Hat — Carmela Soprano probably isn’t going to wear a baseball cap, but I will. And who knows, maybe real life Edie Falco would if she had messy hair? It’s practical, the grocery store, and it’s giving Staten Island.
- Vintage Fur Jacket or this cropped faux fur — If you don’t own a vintage fur, try the cropped version. The streaks of different colors give this fluffy faux fur jacket a luxe mobbed up look.
- High Rise Wide-Leg Jeans with Big Cuffs — here’s where I take a left turn, but hear me out. If Elvira Hancock and Ginger McKenna wore jeans, I feel like they would wear high-rise wide-leg jeans over skinny jeans. A more classic Jackie O silhouette versus the vampy Kim Kardashian look.
- Long Sleeve Turtleneck — Majestic Filatures is my favorite brand for basic shirts, especially this turtleneck. It’s incredibly soft, machine washable, holds its shape, and lasts a lifetime. Highly recommend this one (and it comes in multiple colors). Bonus points if you add a gold chain belt.
- Evil Eye Drop Earrings — I’m not thinking about the malocchio or warding off evil when wearing these, but hey, if they give me a little extra protection, I’m here for it. BTDubs, I only wear clip-on earrings, but that will not stop me from nabbing these beauties. This converter kit will transform your pierced earrings into clips and works like a charm. If these are too much bling, opt for the chunky gold hoop.
- Animal Print Sneakers — ok, so these shoes aren’t affordable, but Carmela Soprano would totally rock these sneakers with a tracksuit. If these blow your budget, check out these leopard print sneakers and get the look for less.
- Oversized Tote Bag — This cazh mob wife look needs an oversized Loewe puzzle bag to carry all her cash money.
- Oversized Sunglasses — These sunnies have that 1970s vintage vibe I love. Completely obsessed. Before you click, guess high or low.
Glam Nouveau Riche With Sequins and Gold
For this last look, I wanted to channel Ginger McKenna from Casino, and I think the sparkly jumpsuit nails it. What do you think? Does it scream, “I told you I was hot tonight!”? (Can you name that movie?)
- Black Faux Fur Jacket — I love the multidirectional quilting on this jacket. It’s perfect for mob wife winter.
- Black And Gold Sequin V-Neck Jumpsuit — If this doesn’t scream Ginger McKenna, I don’t know what does. This jumpsuit eats and is worthy of the Tangiers Casino.
- Cult Gaia Clutch — I went back and forth on glam clutches for this jumpsuit outfit and landed on metallic gold. If this Cult Gaia clutch is out of budget, look at this Rebecca Minkoff ruched gold clutch for half the price.
- Gold Earrings — Since a lot is happening here, let’s tone down this TikTok trend and give my mob wife attitude with these gold lip studs. They have the juice.
- Black Feather Heels — I didn’t know I needed feather heels until I started researching the mob wife aesthetic. They are so not practical winter, but that doesn’t make me love them any less. If you have the budget, kick it up with a chunkier heel and check out these black feather heels.
- Chunky Gold Chain — Normally I would layer my gold chains, but this one is so chunky, I might try wearing it alone.
- Oversized Retro Sunglasses — What do you think? High or low?
So, my dear fashion enthusiasts, have I swayed you? Are you ready to jump on the mob wife aesthetic, or do you think this is just for the younger generation? For me, I love having fun with my clothes, and I love exploring new ways to incorporate new trends into my wardrobe. It’s all about moderation and refreshing what you already have!
Discover More Inspiration on House Of Hipsters
Did you hear the news? TikTok has declared that skinny jeans are out! OMG, what will we wear on our bottom half? Don’t worry, I’ve got 9 alternatives for ya!
The long denim skirt is trending hard and giving a 90s vibe. Here are my top picks.
Here are the top fall fashion trends that I’m coveting. Do you have any in your closet?
These cozy heart sweaters caught my eye for winter.