Last Updated on November 28, 2023
Christmas in Chicago can be incredibly cold, so when we are cooped up for the holidays, we play board games and sometimes put together a puzzle or two. If you’re looking for holiday gift ideas for the board game lover in your life and puzzle lovers, here is a gift guide of the best board games of 2023 that my family absolutely loves. Side note, we’re not talking Candyland or Monopoly. These are unique games you may have never heard of! If you’re looking for more holiday gift ideas, check out my Home Decor Gift Guide, Unique Gifts for Her, and my Favorite Things Gift Ideas Under $25.
Gift Guide of the Best Board Games 2023
- The Chameleon Board Game – When a board game wins award after award, you know it’s a good one. Players receive a card with the same secret word except for the chameleon. Players say one word related to the secret word that the chameleon doesn’t know. It’s the chameleon’s job not to get caught and blend in.
- EXIT Escape Room Games – I have a couple of these on hand because they are a one-time-use board game, but the kids love these. There are different levels, so if you are just getting into escape rooms, go for novice and work your way up. Identity Games also makes a different Escape Room, and Death At The Dive Bar is another stand-alone murder mystery board game.
- Brain Freeze – There is a family-friendly version of this board game and an adult version (After Dark). There will be a lot of shouting during this game because you have to be the fastest to answer. It’ll definitely get your guests talking and laughing.
- Cards Against Humanity – This tried, and true board game has been around for quite some time, but because they’re always coming out with new cards, it never gets old. This game can get a bit raunchy, so if you want to play with younger kids, try the Kids Against Maturity version or Family Edition (this is the glow-in-the-dark because the normal is presently out of stock).
- Wordle: The Party Board Game – The Boy and I play Wordle online daily, so I knew this board game would be a winner. You need 2-4 players and compete by using a dry-erase board. The best thing about this version is that you can play as many times as you want.
- Jenga – If you don’t already own this block-stacking game, you must. This game is requested at least once a month and played for hours.
- Yahtzee – Just because this post is called the best board games of 2023 doesn’t mean they all need to be brand new, right? This battling dice game is a forever favorite in the house, and BTDubs, I always win this game.
- UNO Card Game – Another classic game that is fun for the whole family (if you already own this game, try Skipbo). Super easy to play. You’re in a race to deplete your hand of cards. To discard, you must either match the number or color at the top of the deck. Cards also include reverses, skips, and draw twos. Don’t play this game against Zozo – she’ll beat you every time.
- Rainbow Popsicle Jigsaw Puzzle – This puzzle is challenging for kids and adults, but it won’t stump you and the finished size is 20″ x 20″, so it can be put together on a coffee table.
- A Christmas Story Jigsaw Puzzle – This might be the most difficult puzzle I’ve ever completed. My mom gave it to me for Christmas last year, and we worked on it for over a week before we rolled it up and said more to come next year on this one. This puzzle will definitely challenge you.
- Herd Mentality – This is a game where you don’t want to stand out. Players are asked the same question. If your answer is in the majority, you win a cow. If your answer is the odd one out, you get a pink cow.
- Mensch ärgere Dich nicht or Ludo Board Game – Some call it as Ludo, but I know it as Mensch. It’s a modified version of Parchisi. A 6 must be rolled to begin play, and then try to make it around the board to be safe. If an opponent lands on your square, you’re kicked back to your house. This game can be ruthless. BTDubs, I’d name this my favorite out of the best board games round-up.
- No Thanks Board Game – Take a card or play a chip to say No Thanks. If you take the card, you have to take the points. Run out of chips and get stuck having to take more cards, racking up points. You want to be the player with the least amount of points. Fun for the whole family and only $10.
- Mexican Train Dominos – Our neighbors invited us for game night, and we played Mexican Train Dominos the entire time. We had so much fun we immediately ordered a set for our house. If you’ve never played, it’s easy to learn, and kids can play too!
Discover More On House Of Hipsters Interior Design Blog
Don’t miss this epic round-up of the best gift ideas for women! Everything I own or have at the very top of my wishlist.
Check out the best holiday gift guide from the previous year. Yes, it might be okay, but there are guaranteed bangers over there.
If there’s a decor lover in your life, check out the best interior design books of 2023 and find the perfect gift idea.
Rounding up the best interior design books – if you’re looking for gift idea inspiration for a home decor obsessed loved one, this post is for you!
Do you have a rug that is too small or too big? Not sure? Here’s how to choose the best size rug for a living room.
Love the Primrose mirror but hate the price tag? I got you! Here’s a full round-up of affordable Anthropologie mirror dupes.
Cozy up your windows with these affordable velvet curtains – oh, they’re all available online.
If that special someone is hard to buy for, check out these unique Valentine’s Day gift ideas for her.