Final Reveal – The Bathroom Makeover – One Room Challenge

It’s Week 6 of the One Room Challenge which means ding, ding, ding, times up! Words can’t even express how excited I am about the bathroom makeover. I mean wow! The transformation is crazy, and I honestly can’t believe I live here. It’s wacky and crazy and out there and pretty much describes exactly what happens in my brain. Like if you were a really tiny person and crawled into my ear to have a look around, I would imagine this is exactly what you’d see. Are you prepared for this? Put yo’ pinky rings up to the moon. Whoop, whoop!

An antique dresser was converted into a bathroom vanity. I love the eclectic wallpaper by House Of Hackney - Empire Midnight. I love the Clé Tile Cubicon cement tiles on the floor paired with white subway tile.

The goal for this bathroom was if you are a guest in my house and in the need of the lavatory, you will walked in here and forget to pee. Gerry my man, you did one hell of a job. Seriously, you brought everything that was in my head to life. If you live in the Chicago area and are in need of an amazing contractor, give this guy a buzz…and no he’s not paying me to say this. He just did an amazing job for one of the toughest clients on the planet…me.

I’m just gonna start from ground up because that’s where this space all started. The flooring is from Clé Tile and this is their encaustic cement tile Cubicon. There were so many designs to choose from, and I mulled many choices, but ultimately I picked a bold graphic. It’s really difficult to stand out in One Room Challenge. So many talented bloggers and interior designers participate. I knew I had to step out of the expected to stand out. Wanting something that wasn’t necessarily on trend, but rather just fly af.

Affordable turkish towels in an eclectic bathroom makeover. I love the Clé Tile Cubicon cement tiles on the floor paired with white subway tile.

The subway tile is from the Essentials Collection also by Clé Tile. Per their online suggestion, I went with a natural gray grout which I’m totally digging. Not to harsh, but still pops the tile. A piece of brass was used to cap off the subway on the wall, and then came the second layer…the eclectic and totally whack-a-doo awesome wallpaper by House of Hackney. This is where the transformation of ERMERGERD I CAN’T BELIEVE I LIVE HERE happened.

Unexpected sconces flank either side of the statement antique gilt mirror

The sconce backorder debacle was one of the happiest accidents to have ever happened. I never realized something could be so understated yet shazam at the same time? The foldover along with the brass? I mean, so good, am I right? My mom said she thinks it looks like a folded up Pringle chip. Insert monkey covering its eyes emoji here.

I managed to pick up this mirror at Elkhorn Flea Market a month ago. At first I thought the gold finish was too harsh, but it’s being embraced for the time being. I’m going to live with it a bit before deciding to dull it down. Also, in case you’re wondering where on earth that vanity is from up top, it’s actually an antique cabinet. There’s a DIY in Week 4  on how it was converted to a bathroom sink.

Porcupine needles in a vintage brass trophy is totally normal…right? Actually, I have a whole collection that made it in to the toilet tank.

Vintage brass trophies used as bathroom decor over the toilet. I wanted my bathroom to look like tiny jewelry box. A bathroom that was so awesome you forgot you had to pee. Mission Accomplished.

I really struggled with art in this room. To hang or not to hang. Ultimately, I chose not to hang. Mainly because the wallpaper already makes enough of a statement. Can anything compete? I really don’t think so. Believe me, I’ve looked. But, if you know of anything, send it my way, I’d love to see.

A tiny piece of impressionist art from an estate sale sits quietly on the vanity.

This small portrait was picked up at a recent estate sale, and is the only piece of art in the space. If you like this piece, I bought a ton of paintings from the artist’s estate and have posted quite a bit for sale on my Chairish shop.

The rocks were to be featured in my One Room Challenge last year, but never made it from Turkey in time for the final reveal. The shop owner collects sea pottery on her daily beach walks. I fell in love with them immediately and have been dying to show them off. Although it looks like the shop may no longer be selling. Sadsies.

Can we just take a minute to gaze at this lucite chandelier from The Savoy Flea? One late night texting spree rolled into a, “Hey! I need lighting for my ORC. Got anything?” This beauty was sold within 2 point 5 seconds. I mean, clutch the pearls, she’s a beaute! Do you think she should have a name? I’m looking for suggestions?

If you’re looking for affordable turkish hand towels, look here. They come in a few colors and are the cheapest I’ve found. I bought a set of 4 for $28…ummm, ya, don’t walk, run. Just pass go and run. Normally these bad boys will run you $50 bucks a pop.

Before I give you one final looksy, wanna see the before one more time?

One Room Challenge Before Picture

AHHHH! Crazy! This picture really illustrates just how tiny the bathroom is. The footprint might be a smidge larger than my dining room table…maybe.  Hooray for finally getting to use the #smallspacesquad hashtag on Instagram. It was tiny and beige and boring. Now it might still be tiny, but every time I open the door, I forget I have to pee and just think yahtzee.

Wanna know a source? You can shop the post here.

1. Ariel November 9, 2016

Wowza! With that wallpaper the space is unstoppable! Now if only I could hit Command+ C and bring the space over here!

• kyla November 9, 2016

I wish I could do that for so may things. Command + C would really make life a whole lot easier. LOL.

2. Suzy Lindow November 9, 2016

This is bananas good!!!!! So many interesting elements right on down to porcupine quills that yes, I’d totally forget to pee! 😉

• kyla November 9, 2016

LOL! Yesssa! That was the goal! Thanks for stopping over my dear =)

3. Brynne | The Gathered Home November 9, 2016

Oh my gosh, YES! So, so good! I have to admit – I’ve seen that wallpaper before and thought it was super fun, but always wondered who would actually pull it off in a space. YOU CAN, that’s who!!!

• kyla November 9, 2016

I finally got pretty fearless! You ladies have been inspiring me.

4. Julie Spear November 9, 2016

This is Triple A A-MAZING!!! EVERY SINGLE ELEMENT YOU HAVE CHOSEN IS A WORK OF ART!! OK, i will stop shouting… I cant stop staring at your beautiful tiny powder bath! It somehow looks larger now (at least in photos?) Maybe because there is so much glamour to look at? I dont know, but GREAT work! Thanks for sharing!

• kyla November 9, 2016

Thanks for stopping by Julie! Who says you can’t do black in a tiny room, huh =)

5. Tee @ Beauteeful Living November 9, 2016

Wow – such an amazing and eclectic makeover! Love the floor tiles and that vanity you revamped. And that mirror is simply gorgeous! Congrats on completing this 6 week challenge. So fun to follow along!

6. Kristi November 9, 2016

Oh my goodness!!! The wallpaper, that vanity and of course, the tile … who knew you could pack so much style into such a small space!

7. Cassie Bustamante November 9, 2016

kyla, this is so perfect! i love the wallpaper SOOOO much, and all of the elements work together so beautifully to create a magically dramatic space.

8. Jessica November 9, 2016

This is gorgeous!!!!! I love the wallpaper and all the drama. I think we have similar styles…Love!

9. Emily @ Table & Hearth November 9, 2016

Dude. Just, dude. You ROCKED this lady!!

10. Erin Spain November 9, 2016

It’s amazing! I absolutely love that wallpaper. And everything else too. Great job!

11. Amanda November 9, 2016

I’ve been EAGERLY awaiting this room and it did not disappoint! Amazing! And thanks for sharing the source for the towels – was just looking for some affordable, pretty hand towels to add to my bathroom since it’s all fancified now. 🙂 LOVE THIS ROOM!

• kyla November 10, 2016

Those towels are the bomb dot com!

12. Breanna November 9, 2016

I’d totally forget I had to pee too! You did a bomb job lady, it turned out so amazing!

• kyla November 10, 2016

Bahahaha! Sit and stare LOL =)

13. Ruthie November 9, 2016

What a great space!! I love seeing the chandelier through the mirror!! I love how you made such bold choices for the small room! Love it!

Thanks Ruthie!

14. I laughed out loud about the command +C! Ditto! Kyla you killed it. I think my favorite thing has to be the vanity, Seriously it’s so beautiful!

• kyla November 10, 2016

I want to Command + C everything!

15. Kalie November 9, 2016

Holy Moly!!!! This is AMAZING! I mean, you knocked this out of the park. I’m sitting over here all tingly.

• kyla November 10, 2016

You are sooooo awesome for saying that! Thank you soooo much!

16. Katy {ashadeofteal} November 9, 2016

That wallpaper is amazing! The finishes you chose all look perfect together, love everything about this!

• kyla November 10, 2016

While putting it all together I was a bit concerned about it being overkill…but I seriously love it! thanks for stopping by!

17. such a dramatic space! That wallpaper rocks and the vanity is adorable.

• kyla November 10, 2016

We must have been on the save wavelength…wallpaper and chandies =)

18. Sarah November 9, 2016

it turned out absolutely perfect!! love the bold floor tile paired with the subway wall tile. and that vanity is amazing!

• kyla November 10, 2016

Thanks so much for stopping over to check out the space Sarah!

19. Lindi November 9, 2016

I a seriously digging this space! The tile and the wallpaper and so bold! Amazing job!

• kyla November 10, 2016

Thank you sooooo much Lindi!

20. Jonette Jordan November 9, 2016

I love the privacy of bathrooms…It would be fun to have an Alice in Wonderland door! Your guests will enjoy the experience.

• kyla November 10, 2016

I was actually trying to figure out how to add a speakeasy peek-a-boo window into the door. Because I like the not so normal =)

21. Your writing is so captivating with your sense of humor. I love it! This bathroom for sure is a stand-out! What a transformation!

• kyla November 10, 2016

You are the sweetest! Thanks Erin!

22. Mila November 10, 2016

Shell toilet lid! Love it, and, of course, that wallpaper

• kyla November 10, 2016

Thanks for stopping by Mila!

23. Brit | House Updated November 10, 2016

So I’ve pretty much been thinking about this bathroom all day. And I mean that in the best way possible! I’d totally forget to go to the bathroom if I walked in there! Great job, as usual girl. 🙂

• kyla November 10, 2016

Girl! You are the sweetest! Thank you soooooo much!

24. heather November 10, 2016

That wallpaper is EVERYTHING. I just sat in front of the screen with my kids for five minutes looking at all the fun things the animals were doing! The hookah?! Hilarious.

• kyla November 10, 2016

My daughter loves the squirrel playing the banjo =)

25. sherry hart November 10, 2016

UM….HELLO THIS IS GORGEOUS! LOVE THE WALLPAPER AND THE TILE…..YOU ROCKED IT GIRL!

• kyla November 10, 2016

SHERRY!!!!! Thank you my dear! Thank you so much!

26. Brittany Goldwyn November 10, 2016

Nice work, Kyla! I have to admit that the wallpaper is not something I would have chosen, but it looks so fun. I love seeing how you’ve put together things I wouldn’t normally be inclined to choose and make them look fantastic. We’re about to tackle our main level powder room, which is TINY too. I just ordered a bunch of watercolor animal prints for the wall! Luckily no shell toilet cover. 🙂

• kyla November 10, 2016

This paper is definitely not for everyone. I second guessed myself so many times. In fact I JUST returned the backup paper =)

27. You totally nailed the ‘stand out in a crowd’ thing (but in good way of course)! My first thoughts were: “is that really a raccoon on that wallpaper” and you had me hooked from there! Love it. Bold and brilliant work.

• kyla November 10, 2016

Bahahaha! Yeppers! That is really a raccoon…and I think I asked myself about a million times if I was okay with a raccoon in my bathroom. There was a lot of second guessing on my part. But I finally said, if I hate it, I can always rip it down LOL.

28. Rachel November 10, 2016

BRAVO!!!!!! SOOOOO gorgeous! That wallpaper is ahhhmazing and the tile is on my wishlist.

29. Emy November 10, 2016

It turned out amazing! I love that your took a normal sized bathroom and made it amazing. The wallpaper is truly a work of art! I love this room so much. Great job!

30. Charlotte @ Ciburbanity November 10, 2016

It’s SO good!!! I keep getting lost in the wallpaper and chuckling at all the amazing animals! Well done!!

31. Carol @ CAD INTERIORS November 10, 2016

I would forget to pee in here! Dang, that wallpaper is stunning!!! The floor tile is gorgeous, and the towel rack you installed is perfect against the black! The “pringles” sconces are awesome and unique. Your room definitely stands out among the crowd. 🙂 Congrats!!!

32. Nadia | Preciously Me November 10, 2016

Wow! Totally, truly, completely in love with this gorgeous wallpaper!!!
    Lately I am addict to dark wallpaper and this one really makes the room!
    Also love the cement tiles.. Love it!
    Congratulations 🙂

33. Mila November 10, 2016

How do we get you to participate in the main ORC next year?? Don’t want to be negative, but I don’t love most of the spaces from the main participants this Fall, but I would LOVE to see what you do because (as I said above), this bathroom is great.

34. Jen @ Noting Grace November 10, 2016

Wow!! What an amazing transformation!! I could just stare at that wallpaper all day long!! Brava, my friend, on a stunning reveal!!

35. Jessica | Petal + Ply November 10, 2016

Bold, fun, funky, dramatic! What’s not to love!!

36. Jillian November 10, 2016

I love this bathroom so much, such personality! Great work!

37. Karrie Trowbridge November 10, 2016

Holy cow, girl!! It’s beyond amazing! I’d want to hang out in your bathroom! You killed it, definitely my favorite of the ORC bathrooms!

38. Colette @ restyle it wright November 10, 2016

That is the fanciest half bath I have ever seen. Kudos! It looks fantastic!

39. Tricia @ Suburban B's November 10, 2016

Nothing like bringing some serious glam to a small space. Oh and that wallpaper – I DIE!!!! Congrats!!

40. Trisha D. November 10, 2016

Dang girl you really know how to make a bathroom look like party central!! That wallpaper is so FUNN! I really like how that antique dresser seems to open up the space.

41. Maria Brittis November 10, 2016

Fabulous and Fun, its totally dreamy bathroom, one in which i can enjoy using! 🙂 I think you fit right in with the decorators on WED night.
    Hugs
    Maria

42. Krista November 10, 2016

WOW! That is about the coolest little bathroom that I ever have seen!! #allthehearteyes. Amazing job!

43. Flea Market Rx November 10, 2016

Bravo!!! So so so fabulous! I love it when people aren’t afraid to pack a big punch in s small space, play with pattern and scale, break the rules … and confuse their mothers;) You out-did yourself! That wallpaper has been one of my fave’s forever. I think one of my 1st pins way back when Pinterest just launched was a foyer with that wallpaper … it’s my “someday” wallpaper. The brass strip finish above the subway tile is nothing short of genius. And last but not least the chandy is to die for … for some reason I want to call her Ginger after Ginger Rogers for how she dances with the light. Or Bernice;) Rock on lady … can’t wait to see what you do next!

44. Flea Market Rx November 10, 2016

45. Kate Smith Interiors November 10, 2016

LOVE that wallpaper! It looks awesome, congrats!

46. Joan Miller November 10, 2016

That wallpaper is incredible!

47. Carissa November 10, 2016

Kyla this is just absolutely amazing! I am such a fan of your style and girlfriend, THANK YOU for not being afraid to use color and bold choices. It’s so refreshing and you do it OH. SO. WELL.

48. Rachael @ This is our Bliss November 10, 2016

WoW! This has to be the coolest powder room I’ve ever seen! And stop it right now with that chandy, faucet and mirror and obvi the wallpaper!! Incredible job, Kyla!!

49. Lizzie @ Living Pretty November 11, 2016

Kyla, your bathroom is seriously amazing. I could definitely forget I have to pee in there! The floor tiles, that vanity, EVERYTHING! So so good. Well done!

50. Jana Donohoe November 11, 2016

Nailed it! Loving this powder room so much. It’s playful, elegant and unexpected in one super great package. Congrats.

51. Julia@Cuckoo4Design November 11, 2016

Oh my gosh this is amazing!!!! I love everything so much

52. Sarah November 11, 2016

THANK YOU for posting a photo of the lucite chandelier with its light on! I’ve been after one for a while but wasn’t sure how it’s light quality would be; love the reflections it throws!

53. Oksana | FOXYOXIE.com November 11, 2016

You’re like the edgy, cool friend that’s always doing something wild and crazy while I’m over here like, “I could never pull that off…” Your bathroom looks better than 95% of my house. LOL

54. Melanie@The Painted Chandelier November 11, 2016

That wallpaper is AMAZING! Love how all the elements play together-the chandy, the tile, vanity, sink! SOOO good, love your bold, small space. WTG!!

55. Denise November 11, 2016

Wow! What a stunning transformation! I’m pretty sure I would forget why I came in this room 🙂 Great job!

56. Jenny @ Refresh Living November 11, 2016

Yep – AHHmazing! I love your vanity, and that wallpaper is just plain awesome. Job well done!

57. Meg @ Green With Decor November 12, 2016

What a fun bathroom!! I love the light fixture and the vanity!

58. Joy November 12, 2016

You brought it! I love this space! Happy design. Congrats!

59. Brittany November 12, 2016

What a transformation! You really made every inch count, and I can’t believe how much fab you packed into such a small space. The wallpaper is so fun but I have to take say the chandelier takes the cake for me. You’ve made a simple trip to the powder room an unforgettable experience!

60. WOW – this is stunningly gorgeous! Love the vanity and tile – beautiful makeover!

61. Jane November 13, 2016

Wow! That is one gorgeous powder room. Me likely. A lot. Excellent job!

62. Ellis Yao November 14, 2016

amazing, I love the wall light, is it from RH?

63. GET OUT!!!! This is fan-freakin-tastic!!! I love this wallpaper and the tile with it is spot on! Gorgeous bathroom. Absolutely gorgeous!!

64. […] Powder Room via House of Hipsters // Coffee Bar via Erin Spain […]

65. Nicki Parrish November 16, 2016

Oh My GAWD!!! I think this is amazing, and I’m not surprised because you are a rock star! I would never have the nerve to do what you did in this space. Congratulations on having balls of steal when it comes to your decor choices!

66. Tracy November 20, 2016

Wow. This is amazing. Every detail is incredible. It was so boring before and now it is anything but!!

67. […] first I was really drawn to the African Crane. His plume was fluffy, colorful, and he matched the One Room Challenge bathroom that is only steps away. He was perfect. I dropped him into my cart, but of course kept […]

68. Shonee November 28, 2016

This bathroom is so hip! I love it.

69. Jennifer November 30, 2016

I absolutely love this! So luxurious.

70. […] of flooring repairs so wish me luck there. I’m calling up Gerry (the contractor who did the ORC bathroom) for drywall installation and to fix the pot lights, and Thomas’ Paint will repaint the […]

71. […] the One Room Challenge bathroom, you’ll notice we’ve come full circle on the main floor. You also get another looksy at […]

72. […] call for help because I’m certifiably insane. Yep, you read that right. Potty Paradise looked so incredible, we decided to renovate another bathroom in the new house. Eeeeep! But I swear […]

73. Jessica January 12, 2017

This is gorgeous. I stayed up way too late last night oohing and aahing over this! My mainfloor bathroom is begging for this animal paper!
    Question about the wallpaper: how many rolls did you need? I have a small bathroom I’d love to paper in a similar style to yours (beadboard goes halfway up) but am unsure about the number of rolls I’d need.
    What did you do?

• kyla January 13, 2017

You are the sweetest! Thank you! Okay, so the wallpaper is tricky…especially if you’re doing a half wall like me. One full roll equals 4 panels. The repeat is crazy long, so this was an exorbitant amount of waste for me. I basically used 3 feet of each panel :/ I think if you do a full wall, it’s a much better bang for the buck. There’s a photo on this page of the repeat at the bottom. https://www.houseofhackney.com/hackney-empire-wallpaper-midnight.html

74. […] you thought Potty Paradise was small, well, the basement bathroom might have an even smaller footprint. It didn’t take a […]

75. Jen A. June 4, 2017

Where on earth does one find kinkajou-playing-the-accordion wallpaper? I love it! Love the geometric floor tiles too. Your style choices are so fun and unique. Nice job!