I MADE YOU A MIXTAPE

Mixtape Playlist

In my teen years, if we were friends, you probably received a mixtape from me. I probably spent hours pouring over cassette after cassette trying to find the most perfect song that I thought you might just love. More often then not, it was indie music. Something obscure you’d never heard before, and my hopes were that you’d love a certain band just as much as I did. Growing up in a small rural town in Wisconsin made it difficult to find anything that wasn’t Top 40 or Country. But I lived close enough to Madison, and State Street had great college record stores that fed my need for something different.

H I T   P L A Y   T O   L I S T E N

MORE AFTER THE JUMP

So I’ve gone round and round as to why or why not to create a mixtape for you guys. Music is so particular. The Boy HATES the music I listen to. Hates it. Don’t get me wrong, because he loves me, he listens along without complaint. But usually when we are in the car together to satisfy both our needs, we listen to Classic Rock. Well, that is if Little Maus isn’t in the car with us…then we listen to episodes of Strawberry Shortcake over and over and over again. I don’t want to turn any of my readers off with my music choice. So I hope if you don’t like my musical picks, you just skip over this post rather than changing the channel all together. You have to promise to come back (Thursday’s post is going to be so much fun!) So be honest, do you like this mixtape post? Do you want to see more like this or should we for go for the future? What are your favorite songs? Enlighten me.

I must tell you that track 13 is very near and dear to my heart. It’s by a band called PHOX. They are from my hometown of Baraboo, and I’ve seen them a few times this past year. They played Lollapolooza a couple years ago. Earlier this year they played SXSW and most recently they play the Conan O’Brian show. If you like that one, then play this song / video on YouTube. I had a tie between 1936 and Slow Motion. I love them both. So here’s my big shout out to PHOX!

1. Anna November 17, 2014

Dude. I think we’re musical soul mates. If PHOX ever come to Seattle I’m so there. I love Found music, you know?! The cups and the background stuff?! What a great wake up song. More please.

• kyla November 17, 2014

There’s a play button that is kinda hiding above that. I’m not sure why the jump is going down to far, but there’s a whole playlist up there. Glad you like it Anna. And they are touring right now. They are opening for The Head and the Heart. I don’t see Seattle on their tour schedule right now, but I know they have been out there.

• kyla November 17, 2014

My “hello bar” was covering it up…I fixed it!

2. Grace @ The Big Reveal November 17, 2014

I’m jamming to your mix while working this morning. Thanks, Kyla:)

• kyla November 17, 2014

Ha! I tried to make sure it was pretty safe for little ears.

3. laura irion November 17, 2014

I’m excited to give this a listen. I’m so bad..I’ve never heard of a single band on the list!!

4. Heather Wyancko November 17, 2014

GREAT LIST! Many of these are in my everyday mix – I’ll have to check out the others.
    Gorgeous blog, btw..
    Heather Wyancko

• kyla November 17, 2014

Dude! I just check our your pretty blog! How about the jacket hot momma! I’m so happy to hear you like the mix…seriously, check out PHOX.

5. Jennifer @ Brave New Home November 17, 2014

Thank you for this! The last mixed CD I got was like over a decade ago. I hope one of these new-to-me bands will click with me. I just can’t go about finding new artists and reading Pitchfork the way I used to and my musical tastes have suffered and are subsequently stuck in the early 2000s.

6. Coco @ homeschoolapalooza November 20, 2014

This is so awesome!!! Thanks for the mixtape 🙂 Your blog is so pretty!

7. Ginnie November 22, 2014

I grew up in a WI small town, too!! I lived near Green Bay, and always thought Madison was the cool WI city, so you are lucky to have close by;)

• kyla November 22, 2014

Yeah for fellow Wisconsinites! I’m from Baraboo near Wis Dells =)

8. Kathi Roussel December 8, 2014

I can’t tell you how grateful I am to have had a listen to a sampling of your “mixed tape” . Always in search of music that moves me, I’ve found it harder and harder to find- not because people aren’t making it – but because it’s not easy to access. I adore this song and this band and am now about to have a go and listen to the rest on your list. Thank you for sharing- and for being a girl with an ear and love for authentic, unique and soulful music.

• kyla December 8, 2014

Oh Kathi! I’m so excited you like PHOX, and I really hope you like the rest of the mix. I debated long and hard if I should post something like this since I didn’t want anyone to be turned off. Music is such a personal taste. But it makes me so excited to hear you like this one!

9. […] House of Hipsters – I knew from blog’s name alone I would like this blog.  Cause anyone who would call themselves a hipster is probably doing it ironically.  Kyla does this hilarious series called I Make Emily Henderson Cry (and if that were true I’d probably make Emily depressed for days because even Kyla’s before photos look gorg to me!) and is one of the few people I know who can totally pull off decorating with photos of a rapper in her living room.  If you’re not already convinced, she made you a mixed tape. […]

10. […] also included some PHOX. If you missed my last mixtape, I explained how PHOX is from my hometown of Baraboo, WI and one of my new favorite bands. The […]