I Used To Be Punk Rock – Style Post

Ever since I started writing this blog I knew I wanted to create style and fashion posts. But for me, photographing myself is not the easiest thing to do. (Unless you’re Heather Wyancko she makes it look like a piece-a-cake!) After returning from Alt Summit, I knew I need to make this style thing happen, so I searched and searched for just the right photographer and finally found Hallie Duesenberg. She shoots Amelia over at The CHICago Life. Hallie was going to be my girl whether she liked it or not. She has also shot my favorite band PHOX…yep, sold!

I Used To Be Punk Rock Style and Fashion post

Lucky for her me, she agreed right away, and I didn’t have to resort to threats. But with this crazy cold Chicago weather we needed a location inside because I didn’t want to freeze. Hallie found this amazing restaurant and cocktail lounge called Presidio. And let me tell you, if you’re ever in the Chicago area, check this place out. It’s decor is industrial slash mid-century slash chic slash just plain rad. I was dying over the decor as soon as I walked in the door. Hallie said when she saw it, she knew it was right up my alley.

I Used To Be Punk Rock Style and Fashion post

Basically, I live in t-shirt and jeans on a the daily, so I paired my favorite I Used To Be Punk Rock t-shirt with my favorite J.Crew distressed jeans. I love a boyfriend fit, but I have to be careful with my larger lower half. After babies, let’s just say, I’m all about that bass. The boyfriend cut is a bit oversized, but I like the relaxed feel, so I always size down. Besides, automatically losing a pant size in the morning just makes me feel better about myself. I know it’s just a number, but I still smile when I see it. It’s the little things.

I Used To Be Punk Rock Style and Fashion post

I love this black moto jacket because it has a rocker look and feel, but let me tell you, this leather is soft like butter. The I Used To Be Punk Rock t-shirt hits just below the hip which allows for a bit of a tuck in the front. The belt is by Madewell and appropriately named The Perfect Leather Belt…I have to say it’s one of my favorites. It’s received a lot of wear. The leopard print wedge shoes are by J.Crew and are unfortunately no longer available, but the ballet flats have a few sizes left. I’m a fan of the wedge heel because they don’t hurt my feet as badly as other hells. There are other wedge styles to shop here.

I Used To Be Punk Rock Style and Fashion post

I Used To Be Punk Rock Style and Fashion post

I Used To Be Punk Rock Style and Fashion post

Wanna see those accessories? The clutch is from Lauren Merkin. And I swear, I carry it everywhere. But bracelets, man those are my thing. I love a good stack, so I’m going to show you each side cuz that’s how I roll.

I Used To Be Punk Rock Style and Fashion post

I Used To Be Punk Rock Style and Fashion post

The “No Sleep Till Brooklyn” bracelet is by Kate Spade. She no longer makes it, but I did manage to find a couple on eBay. The gold bangles are from J.Crew and no longer available, but you can find similar here. And yep, that is an old school gold digital Casio watch. Nail polish is OPI Dutch Tulips. And finally, I get asked quite often where my glasses are from. They are by Oliver Peoples.

And if you go to Shopbop, be sure to buy before March 7. Their Big Event only happens every so often and that every so often happens to be RIGHT NOW! That’s right! You’ll save up to 15% – 25% off your entire order (includes all full-price and sale priced items). Happy shopping!

Linking up with Table & Hearth   Fry Sauce and Grits   Mommyzoid    Classy Yet Trendy

1. You look so cute Kyla! I prefer wedge heels too….less likely to fall flat on my face!

• kyla March 5, 2015

Wedges are the best aren’t they?!?!?!

2. Nicki @ T-shirt & Jeans March 4, 2015

Hello supermodel! You are rockin’ it girl! I’m in LOVE with your jacket, and all the fun accessories. Yeah, that boyfriend cut is an esteem-booster for sure. I just got some boyfriend jeans too, and could wear them every day. Looking forward to more Kyla fashion in the future :).

• kyla March 5, 2015

Supermodel…LOL! You crack me up. More like old lady thinking she’s 27 =) Thanks for stopping over Nicki!

3. Tracy March 4, 2015

Awesome post girl! You look great — looking forward to seeing some more fashion for the spring!

4. Susan McDonald March 4, 2015

Hi Kyla!
    Great post! And you look fabulous!!! Your photographer did a great job. You need to model more often! Love how you mixed vintage and newer jewels!
    Cheers!
    Susan

• kyla March 5, 2015

Thank you soooo much Susan! I was kinda nervous and self conscious posting this one.

5. Kelly March 4, 2015

LOVE IT ALL! What frustrates me is seeing a great outfit (like this) and giving it a go — then laughing so hard I start to cry because it looks so incredibly ridiculous on me. #truestory

• kyla March 5, 2015

Ha! I seriously am the same way, but lately I’ve been taking one item in my closet that I don’t know what to do with and searching it in Pinterest. Like plaid shirt outfits…It’s amazing all the fun ideas that come up!

6. Brandy Lea March 4, 2015

As a diehard Beastie Boys fan—I am flipping over the “no sleep to Brooklyn” bracelets. I am jealous and crying just a little–ok maybe a lot because I wish I had them!!

• kyla March 5, 2015

Search eBay! There were quite a few on there. I bought mine when it first came out as pre-order and had to wait like 5 months for it to show up. It killed me! And then it was still on the site until a few months ago. Best bracelet ever!

7. Grace @ The Big Reveal March 4, 2015

Nice job, lady! So excited to see your first fashion post!

• kyla March 5, 2015

Thanks lady! I can’t wait to do anther!

8. mary jo March 6, 2015

I love your blog !! i am a punk rocker and biker chick !! just not as extreme as i was in the 80s !!

9. What a fun shoot! Love those heals.

• kyla March 7, 2015

Thank you! I was oddly nervous about this post. HA! I guess pretty self conscious.

10. Danielle March 6, 2015

That shirt is RAD.

• kyla March 7, 2015

I HAD to have it. It was more than I ever would normally spend and I sat and thought about it for like 2 weeks before I finally pulled the trigger. Had to do it.

11. emily March 13, 2015

darling! love your red nails and fun jewelry. great post!

• kyla March 17, 2015

Thank you so much Emily!

12. […] back on these photos, I wish I wouldn’t have worn these jeans with boots. I always have to be careful with boyfriend jeans. Especially a slim fit boyfriend. Sometimes they can stretch out and be a bit too baggy, but man oh […]