Last Updated on September 27, 2023
Self care — it’s one of the last things on my mind. In fact, I’m struggling to even think of what my needs might be. The hustle of unemployment, being a mom and wife, the holidays, and all the noise from the media…well, let’s just say life has taken my quiet time to an all-time low.
This last week, I’ve especially felt like I was drowning. Every time I pick up my phone, there seems to be an email or phone call, or request that cannot be ignored. At night it’s mommy, I need this. Mommy, watch me dance. Mommy, watch Moana for the 486th time with me. All I want to do is come up for air and breath.
Self Care Ideas
But now. Today. I’m going to write down a list. A physical list of what I want to do for myself. Ideas to carve out an hour or two a week that’s just “me time”. Time to relax, breathe, and just be. I mean, how many times have you had some free time and just picked up your phone? That needs to stop. Let’s get creative…wanna make a list with me?
- Walking. When I first became unemployed, I’d go for walks around the neighborhood. It was also something I did when I was working at the ad agency. During lunch, I’d just walk out the door with no particular path or destination. No music. No phone. Quiet. Exploring my surroundings.
- Floating. Have you heard of this? Basically, you’re removing all sensory input while immersed in a pool of Epsom salts. I suffer from anxiety and depression, and I’m hoping this helps calm my brain. Much like acupuncture did. There was a Groupon for floats down the street from my house, and The Boy bought me one. I’m stoked to use it. Must make an appointment.
- Pedicure or manicure. And no, that doesn’t mean I have to go out and drop a handful of cash at the salon. There’s plenty of polish and lotions in my vanity, so why not put them to good use. It’s been over a year since I got out my favorite — Lincoln Park In The Dark polish. And if the mood is right, I just might slip into a nice hot bath and put a face mask on. I might as well dream big with this self care list, am I right?
- Pilates or yoga. Bloggery hustle has me sitting at my computer…a lot. I miss my workouts. Remember when I was going to dig into that morning routine? Epic fail. But, that doesn’t mean I can’t try again, right? My sister-in-law is the genius behind Your Fitness Dietitian and has offered to help me out. Healthy lifestyle changes will be a challenge; however, I’m bound and determined to incorporate them into my daily schedule. There’s a CycleBar that just opened down the street that I’ve been wanting to check out. It’s that introvert hermit mentality that I need to overcome. I find it difficult to do activities on my own. Do you have any motivational tips for me? What makes you want to work out? How do you commit?
- Reflecting. The days fly by…faster and faster every year. I want to tune out and reflect on my experiences. Whether it’s drawing or writing or taking photos, I want that creative release and to remember those sweet everyday moments.
- Resting. No, I don’t mean sleeping. Remember when I wrote about acupuncture? That was my time, once a week, where I would lay down and rest. Granted it was resting with a bunch of needles in my body, but it was also 50 minutes of silence. No phone. No computer. No chatter. No worries. I would concentrate on my breathing. Breathing in for 7 seconds. Hold it. Slowly exhale. My mind would calm.
- Reading. Remember the HOH Book Club? I miss it. Rather than pinning myself to sleep or looking for the next estate sale to hit while lying in bed, I’m going to pick up a book. I have a few sitting on my nightstand just begging to be cracked open. I’ve been meaning to crack The Couple Next Door, but it’s just been sitting there. I’m starting tonight.
Did you add other ideas? I’d love to hear them. Write me in the comments below.