I Make Emily Henderson Cry…or do I?

Dear Emily,

A couple months ago you some how came across my blog and read an I Make Emily Henderson Cry post. I about fell out of my chair when you wrote on my Facebook page. I do hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it. Since watching Secrets From A Stylist (please bring it back, I need you in my living room…but not in a creepy kinda way), I’ve learned so much about my style and how to create vignettes. I still haven’t mastered the art of mixing and matching pillows, but I swear I’m practicing.

Reading your blog and watching your videos…girl, you are a wealth of knowledge that people like me value, adore, and cherish. It’s like you’ve created your very own little army of eclectic style mixing wanna be designers. Because of you, I had the confidence to start this master bedroom makeover and know it would wind up magazine worthy. And for that, I thank you. So if you’re reading this, I hope you see how you’ve inspired me. From velvet navy headboards to brass sconces to mix and matched furniture. Mid-Century Modern with a little bit of granny as you call it. Wipe those sweet salty tears of sadness away and come out from hiding in the closet because girl, I’m about to blow your mind…I hope, fingers crossed.

There’s been some chatter…mostly started by myself…of a super secret amazingly stupendous master bedroom makeover project. Yep, it was on track for a very cool feature in a very cool magazine, but, weird shit happens sometimes and whomp, whomp, whomp, I think that game is over. It’s okay though, I’m over it…not really. Insert laughing so hard I’m crying emojis here. I still have what will soon be one dreamy little spot to lay my pretty head. That is, pending a gorgeous rug’s arrival from India, a painter who has been perpetually busy and a DIY. Note to self, stop slamming the painter get on that DIY already. Oh, and some wall art above my bed.

Because the space is not finalized (the main feature is the rug), this post is not a complete reveal (sad face), but I promise to share more then just a one picture sneak peek. I’ll also be sharing with you how everything came together, and who helped me make my master bedroom makeover happen.

Master Bedroom Makeover Mid-Century Modern

When I first started to write House Of Hipsters and had about 7 clicks a day if I was lucky…my mom, Brandy who I went to high school with, Laura and Grace (The other 3 clicks were me making sure the site was working, wondering why no one was reading my blog. )…I wrote this post. It was what would become one of my very first I Make Emily Henderson Cry posts. I jokingly photographed and shared with my 4 readers the disastrous space known as my bedroom. After we moved into the house 4 years ago, my focus was on the main floor. I tried to dress the master bedroom up with some lipstick also known as fancy Dwell Studio bedding and some white animal heads. But for the most part, this was not a bedroom that dreams where made of. There was no magic happening here.

Master Bedroom Makeover Mid-Century Modern

When the magazine approached me, they asked to see a makeover of the non-existent makeover. No rush, they just wanted to be first in line before any other national magazines came knocking on my door. Ummm, seriously? Woah. Yes, this master bedroom makeover immediately became priority numero uno. I threw together the mood board above and put together a great foundation for the room but started to freak out about styling. This had to be knock it out of the park, no swing, batta, batta, swing hit and a miss. So I reached out to a talented stylist who I admired and asked for a little help with my vignettes…Jennifer Harrison aka @fleamarketfab. If you don’t know her, go…now…I’ll wait here. And be sure to follow her while you’re over there. Her feed is A-MAZING.

Master Bedroom Makeover Mid-Century Modern

Hey! You actually came back! Alrighty, well, back to my story. I can pick out amazing furniture and home decor pieces, but it’s putting together curated vignettes that tend to stump me. Much to my surprised, she offered to drive 7 hours to help me style this room. SO nice! I continued to shop online like a mad woman, trying to get all the big stuff delivered before her arrival. I added each piece I picked out to a mood board on Pinterest, so she could virtually see what I was doing with the room. More styling, less shleping was the motto. I wanted to use her time with me wisely.

Before she left her house, she sent me this text…apparently clubbing was not in the cards for us gals. Do I come off as a clubbing girl? If I do, swwwweeeet! But heck, I can hardly stay awake past 9:30 PM; however, we did party hard every night with wine, Craigslist and iPads. Ain’t no party like a House ‘a Hipsters party, cuz a House ‘a Hipsters party likes to thrift…just sayin’.

Text From Jen

When her crazy huge red van pulled into my driveway that Thursday night I was stoked. This room thing was going to happen. After noshing on delicious Lou Malnati’s sausage pizza, Jen and I went up to the room and took inventory of what might be still needed. The next morning we moved around some dressers and got the mirror in place. Thankfully the bed and nightstands were already set up. She suggested a tray, large plant, lamp and small wishbone chair. We shopped the house first.

Since I already had most everything, the space took shape right before our eyes. But she suggested a few items to be purchase, so we made a list. Time to hit that pavement. We talked about heading downtown to my favorite haunts, but instead chose to go a more productive path. Rather then treasure hunting the city and risking a huge bust, we hit West Elm, IKEA, and Anthropologie. Yep, these thrifting queens were on their way to the mall. But first we had a few Craigslists finds to stuff in the trunk of my car. I get ‘chu good deal.

fleamarketfab-house-of-hipsters

We shopped ’til we dropped. Literally! Jen can shop you guys! We stopped at a Starbucks, but besides that, we didn’t eat until 8PM. I’d bet I put 8 miles on my new Birkenstocks. We raced to the nearest Chipotle, and I tried not to lick the walls. When we finally got home, my eyes were glazed over, both of us exhausted. I offered wine secretly hoping Jen was just as tired. She was…thank gawd. Also, my SUV was packed to the gills. I threatened to bungie cord her to the roof if we tried to stuff another lamp in it.

Master Bedroom Makeover Mid-Century Modern

Saturday morning was go time again. Pretty little thing after pretty little thing was unboxed and styled. Pillows were fluffed. Plants were potted. Flowers in vases. Books stacked. Oh and an IKEA desk that I kept screwing up the IKEA build. Sorry about that Jen. She learned quickly to dread the words, “uh-oh”, but handled my errors in stride. Many laughs later, we went from this

this makes emily henderson cry

(How’s that for a little trip down memory lane?) To a proper master bedroom makeover with HUGE style. I feel like I’ve got my funk back.

Master Bedroom Makeover Mid-Century Modern Redesign

Master Bedroom Makeover Mid-Century Modern

Master Bedroom Makeover Mid-Century Modern

Yep, that bench right there is my DIY. I need to add a make a cushion for this Craigslist score and add some new pillows because I swiped these from the bed. And that you guys is all I’m giving you until the final reveal. What do you think of my master bedroom makeover? Any suggestions for artwork over the bed? How about paint color on the walls? Right now it is Sharkey Gray by Martha Stewart Paint from Home Depot. Originally we thought a light blush or maybe white. Once I took the pictures, both Jen and I started liking the gray. She suggested going a shade lighter, but I’ve been dragging my feet until that glorious rug arrives. Since it is 9′ X 12′, that sucka is going to pop this room.

1. Jenn June 8, 2015

You …. MY FRIEND… I love to pieces and am more greatful of my experience to share this space makeover, and thank you for asking me for my help!!! We have made a friendship that will never be forgotten on how it came together!!! This story was told BEYOND perfectly!!!! I love you and I will see you soon for my chairs!!! Xx Jen

• kyla June 9, 2015

I love you more and I’m so thankful you helped me create this space. Like beyond words thankful. Muah!

2. Lauren Dahl June 8, 2015

Kyla! I love where this is going! My very very favorite part of the entire space, is the figurative art. I honestly feel like people who go with a portrait, are fearless! Most people, and most of my clients actually, are afraid to use artwork that has another person. I think it adds sooo much to any space! Go Kyla Go!

• kyla June 9, 2015

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! You are the sweetest! Everyone has been so super sweet. Man, that portrait…I saw it come through my inbox and I said to Thorsten immediately, “Dude! This must go in the bedroom!!!” His excitement paled in comparison to my own…but Jen was super geeked out about it =)

3. faith June 8, 2015

Love it!

4. Emily McCauley June 8, 2015

This is going to be SO SO good!!! Like crazy good. I really like the color on the walls but it would look great in a lighter shade or white too if you’re so inclined. Cannot wait to see it with that killer rug!!!!

• kyla June 9, 2015

Thank you soooo much my dear! That means so much to me. I’ve been busting my buns on it! I’m thinking a lighter shade of grey is going to be better too.

5. Ashley June 8, 2015

I would love to know where the picture of the girl looking down is from – I love it! Any help would be appreciated!

• kyla June 9, 2015

Hi Ashley! The portrait is from My Deer Art Shop out of the Netherlands. They ship to the US. You can find it here. http://mydeerartshop.nl/collections/art-line I absolutely love the other portrait, but it was too deep for my pocket book.

6. Alyce Arnick Lichaa June 8, 2015

I spy the perfect brass lamps from Target (that they don’t make anymore) and the PERFECT mirror. I’ve been looking for a round mirror that is larger than 30″!

• kyla June 9, 2015

You do spy that brass lamp that Target doesn’t make anymore! I lucked out somehow and randomly found it online. During the day it said out of stock. I checked back at 10PM to double check it and boom, there it was. I snapped it up and checked out as fast as my little fingers could type =) That mirror is from Restoration Hardware. They have a few sizes I believe and it was recently on sale!

7. Brandy June 8, 2015

i have been waiting all day to read this! Holy Moly – as a non blogger or hip person by any token, I am humbled to be named in this blog post! Dear Kyla, you made me cry–in a good way! I am so happy you to have seen it from almost the beginning! You inspire me to get my eye more detailed for design, you challenge me to take risks and girl you make me laugh! Keep on keepin’ on! And I can’t wait to see the BIG REVEAL! Oh and by the way, for a belated birthday present I am talking my mom to Elkhorn Flea Market at the end of the month!! Boom!!

• kyla June 9, 2015

I’M SOOOOO JEALOUS! I want to go to Elkhorn sooooo bad! I missed the opening season one. Have such a great time. And please know that I’m so thankful to have you as a reader. It truly means so much to me. <3

8. kristin June 8, 2015

Gorgeous room! I’m dying to know where that mirror is from! I have been searching for that exact look!

• kyla June 9, 2015

Thanks so much Kristin! The mirror was kind of a splurge for me…that and the rug. But since a good portion was thrifted, it squeaked into my budget. I found it at Restoration Hardware. =)

• kristinbeck1@gmail.com June 12, 2015

Its perfect! the whole room is! Thank you!!

9. Susan G. June 9, 2015

Oh my goodness, it is turning out great! It is inspiring.

• kyla June 9, 2015

Thank you so much Susan! I’m just tickled pink with how it turned out! Thanks so much for visiting!

10. Ashley June 9, 2015

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it.

11. shannonchurchill78 June 9, 2015

I am loving these sneak peeks, Kyla!! I’m over the moon in love with your master retreat! Can’t wait to see the final pics.:)

12. It’s soooo good, friend! I can’t believe there’s a phase two still coming. I know the rug is gonna be amazing. I’m a huge fan of rugs pulling spaces together. And the overall design definitely looks Em Henderson-esque. Stunning!

13. Sandra June 10, 2015

Oh my gosh I love the way you write and I am looking forward to the final reveal. If only I could put a room together like this.

14. Nicki June 10, 2015

Looking fab so far! Great work! My hallways and stairwells are snarky grey. I love the color in my house! I like it in your room as well. But right now I am painting my living room in grey owl by Benjamin Moore (except I had it color matched in Glidden at Home Depot). I have 3 walls done and I am in love with the color!! It is lighter than snarky grey and the perfect neutral! I like it so much I want to paint ,My whole house in it. Somebody stop me! Good luck, can’t wait for the reveal!

• Nicki June 10, 2015

Totally meant sharky. Autocorrect!

15. Shavonda@SGStyle June 12, 2015

Seriously Jen is THE BEST! I just love her and I just love this room babes. That rug is just beyond gorge and its gonna be magic in that space. Cant wait to see it complete. I actually like the grey as is right now, but a shade or two lighter would be fab too.

16. Colleen Pastoor June 30, 2015

oh my gawsh! I’m in love with this… and I think I need a Jen in my life… know one in Canada 😉

17. […] pouf, and leather chair. Jen @fleamarketfab arrived the following weekend to help me out with my master bedroom, and together we made one big trip to West Elm. Shop, shop, shop. I bought the remaining […]

18. […] else is new. I can’t wait to share a progress report with you all. I also posted my master bedroom sneak peek in my latest “I Make Emily Henderson Cry” series. I’m so please with the outcome! Just a few more pieces to go and I’ll have a finalize […]

19. […] last Spring I gave both my master and guest bedroom a major makeover. I was on design project overload, and oddly, it seemed like […]

20. Carolina October 23, 2015

iiin love with this room.. specialy with the dresser! could you tell me where it is from? gracias from switzerland 😉

21. Anne November 21, 2015

Love it! Where is the gorgeous dresser from?

• Anne November 21, 2015

I am referring to the wide, low dresser 🙂

22. Samantha January 6, 2016

Is the master bedroom dresser vintage or new? Like that it has 9 drawers…reminiscent of a Heywood Wakefield 9 drawer wave dresser I covet.

23. Michelle L. Raftery February 10, 2016

You did a stellar job with this transformation! I am using this an inspiration for my room makeover! Where can I find those pillows (or fabric to make them)?! And where did you find that amazing bed?! It’s stunning!

24. Katy-Robin Garton February 11, 2016

I’d love to know where you found this bed! I love it

25. Katy-Robin Garton February 11, 2016

I’d also love to know more about the dresser, it’s stunning!

26. sara March 27, 2016

I love where this is going! can’t wait to see the end result!

27. Victory Ralston July 5, 2016

So beautiful! Would you mind sharing where the nightstand is from?

28. […] Foto: House of Hipsters […]

29. MOM2GZG December 26, 2016

Where did you purchase the brass wall sconces? They’re adorable!

30. Dalia February 1, 2017

Hello! Where is that gorgeous navy velvet headboard from?

• kyla February 1, 2017

Hi Dalia! Would you believe me if I said it’s from Target 🙂 There should be a link to it in the post.

31. Stephanie March 21, 2017

May I ask where you got that awesome dresser you have under the equally stunning round mirror?

• kyla March 22, 2017

Hi Stephanie! The dresser is vintage, but it’s pretty easy to find them. Here is on on Etsy for ya! It’s by Johnson Carper. Hope that helps!