My New Morning Routine — Maybe A Workout?

How many of you hit the snooze button? I don’t know about you, but I’m so not a morning person. I wish I was. The Boy hears that first beep and boom, he’s up, showered, has empties his inbox, and probably had a conference call or two. He has a very rigid morning routine. Yes, we are complete opposites.

New Morning Routine Workout Plan

The old routine was awake by 6:12AM, shower, coffee, train, and walk from the Metra station to work. Since getting laid off, I smack my phone about 17 times. My kids climb into bed with me, curl up, play with their iPads or watch cartoons, and I’m in dreamy dreamy land. My brain says to my body, “really…why do you need to wake up?” Well, I don’t, but I should. If I wake up at 9AM, the morning is gone. Suddenly I feel behind. I haven’t been on Instagram, or checked email, the coffee is almost gone, and I’ll probably shower around 2PM if I’m lucky. I no longer have time to workout. My day is now a scramble of playing catch up. That feeling in no bueno.

No longer having a morning routine is completely screwing up my day. It’s also not helping my eating habits or my weight. Time to figure a new schedule…not unnecessary elaborate plans, but something a bit more involved than hit snooze and repeat. I’m not a morning person, and I’ve accepted that fact. Thinking otherwise is only setting myself up to fail.

First thing’s first, let’s tackle the biggest culprit…the snooze button. I’m going to dig out my old alarm clock (it’s in a random drawer from when we moved) and put it on the other side of the room. It seems silly, but this will actually going to force me to get out of bed. My brain can no longer scream, “just 5 more minutes”.

Drink 1 full glass of water before 9AM. Pour a cup of coffee and a glass of water…eventually I’ll drink the water. Must hydrate better.

Since I no longer have my daily walks around the city, I’m bound and determined to fit in a quick workout at home. No, this will not involve driving to the gym, signing up for morning barre class, or running 8 miles after the kids leave for school. Not for now anyway. This is, get your lazy butt outta bed, and do a few jumping jacks to get the blood flowing.

What’s the plan? Well, I perused My handy dandy Pinterest workout board…see, I knew I’d use this board eventually…to pull together something doable.

New Morning Routine Workout Plan

This photo is printed out and laying on my nightstand, and it’s also the screen saver to my phone. Hopefully this morning workout will evolve into something more, but for now, it will do just fine. If I feel like repeating it a couple times…well that’s even better. But let’s not get too ambitious. The goal is to move my body 3-4 times a week starting with these 6 exercises.

Ever since we bought the new house, I lost my favorite gym, trainer, and spin class. My waistline has suffered, and I refuse to buy new jeans. Once this practice becomes a routine, I, in theory, will stick with it. The trick is to start small. Who knows, maybe someday I’ll be motivated enough to add a kettle bell into those squats…but let’s not get too crazy.

After dropping the kiddos off, shower…immediately…and do my hair. Brush it out or blow it dry. Makeup, ya no, not going to happen. Don’t fool yourself Kyla. And yes, the reality is that I probably won’t see anyone that day, but that doesn’t mean that if I get a last minute call for an estate sale adventure that it should take me an additional hour to look presentable unless I wanna roll dirty.

Check email and social media while finishing coffee and water. It’s inevitable that I will pick up my phone, but I really should designate a time for social. There’s no reason to get lost in Instagram until noon eatin’ bon-bons on the couch.

Prioritize a To-Do List. This is something I did every morning at the advertising agency. Even though I never before considered blogging a job, it is now. And because I have my hands in so many pots, I need to have a running list of: Do I need to reply to emails? What vintage pieces should go up for sale on the Chairish shop? Is there anything that should be marked down? Do I have any upcoming sponsored posts? What do I want to write about next week? Do I need to bill anyone? Search and apply to 1 job on LinkedIn. Do I owe anyone deliverables? Even though I work well under pressure, feeling overwhelmed is stress inducing and completely unnecessary.

And that’s it! Nothing here is to elaborate, right? There’s no handwriting 12 daily affirmations. No vegan smoothies to chop and blend. No meditating before 7AM. No journaling about what I’m grateful for. No preparing a marinated kale salad for my lunch. Just a very simple new morning routine. Wake up, get out of bed, move my body, don’t roll dirty, drink water, and write down a to-do list. Does your morning routine include kale? I’d love to know what you think?

1. Shibani August 22, 2017

So I just started a new routine where I wake up, let the dogs out (and back in), don’t turn on the lights, and do a quick meditation using the headspace app. It’s 3 minutes and the dogs know this is a thing now.

Also for workouts, you can also use a deck of cards and remove the jacks, kings, queens and aces, and assign an exercise to each suit – so you only do 4 exercises but get a nice chunk of reps!

• kyla August 30, 2017

OK, so I LOVE this idea with the cards! I’ve tried it and it really does work. THANK YOU!

2. joanna // jojotastic August 22, 2017

ugh i FOR REAL need a morning routine…

• kyla August 30, 2017

Has the morning routine kicked in? =P

3. Megan August 22, 2017

I really need a new routine too! I start answering emails before I get dressed and before I know it, it’s noon!

• kyla August 30, 2017

Oh girl, I feel your pain! You totally get it!

4. Mary August 22, 2017

I have a morning workout class I go to everyday at 9am. Since I can’t workout on an empty stomach, I get up in time for breakfast & coffee.
    I get my errands done on the way home. It’s an easy routine. I don’t have kids to take care of & my husband is self sufficient. Life is good.

• kyla August 30, 2017

I tried going to a barre class on an empty stomach…not on purpose, I was just running late. Let’s just say I had to walk out and sit down before I passed out. Then the front desk lady gave me a fruit roll up and sat with me. Talk about being humiliated. Palm to forehead.

5. Susana August 23, 2017

I can relate, I hate getting up early in the morning! And no, of course there’s no kale smoothie for me, thank you very much! I really enjoyed your post, keep up the good work girl 🙂

• kyla August 30, 2017

Susana!!!! You’re lucky though…it’s acceptable to eat, sleep, and drink later in Spain =)

6. candace August 23, 2017

I’m in the same situation. I was laid off the first of July. it wasn’t a game changer to our livelihood, thank goodness – but now I have days thinking what I am going to do? So I signed up to get my real estate license. BUT I still have not gotten into a groove to actually begin the online classes. Also I am getting up around 8-9 and going to bed after 10. SOOO – I appreciate your post – to know i’m not alone.

• kyla August 30, 2017

You are definitely not alone! We will figure out the groove together =)

7. mybohem August 24, 2017

I can very much relate! I’m not a morning person at all and I’d like to get rid of the snooze button… maybe I’ll start there 🙂 Very inspiring post, thank you!

• kyla August 30, 2017

Thanks for stopping by! So far this routine has been going slowly but surely. Yesterday was a struggle, but this morning was much better =) I wish I could just flip a switch to become a morning person, LOL.

8. Carol August 24, 2017

Thank you Kyla for being real! I appreciate your authenticity. Readying your post made me jump right over to your Charity link….here we go first 2 hours of the day exploring while drinking a pot of coffee! So inspired I finally hop up and boom get to painting a piece, staging it, getting orders wrapped up and shipped..running up and down the steps 20-30 times a day to my shop in my basement counting this exercise! (Which it is but over 50 metabolism doesn’t work like when in my 30’s or 40’s). The steps are my cardio, but I do go to “The Exercise Coach” twice a week for a 20 minute strength training routine…it’s by appointment which mine are standing and I make myself go…..I can do anything for 20 minutes. I wear Street clothes, and they surround me with fans so I don’t sweat! Have been doing this for 10 years and I totally love it. Which is saying a lot for a girl who hates to exercise! I would love to hear about your experience with Chairish. Great post! Carol

• kyla August 30, 2017

I swear, once I hit 40, it was like my metabolism hit a wall! And have fun on Chairish. It’s one of my favorite places to shop…and sell =)

9. Joe August 24, 2017

It’s Necessary! 😉

10. Kathie August 28, 2017

I’m going to put that photo on my nightstand too! Thanks for the inspiration!

• kyla August 30, 2017

Thanks for stopping by =)

11. Diego Lopes August 30, 2017

Having a morning routine is a great way to kickstart the day. Of course, this is coming from someone who takes about 2 hours to actually wake up after leaving bed. Maybe I should try this x)