One Room Challenge – Week 1

Oh One Room Challenge…you are the mistress I love to hate. Your pull is strong my dear. When I don’t participate, I feel left out…but when I do, I question my own sanity. For those unfamiliar with the One Room Challenge…or The ORC as my fellow bloggers refer to it as…it’s a challenge to makeover a room in only 6 weeks and document the process. Start to finish. Some succeed, others fail. It only happens twice a year. Motivating? Yes. Challenging? Yes? Complete and utter crazy ensues? You betch’yor bottom dollar. It’s time to slap on the helmet, buckle down the chin strap, and hold on tight. One Room Challenge Fall 2016 is underway!

House Of Hipsters One Room Challenge Powder Room Bathroom Makeover - Before Picture

Last Fall, I participated in my first ORC and gave my office a little makeover. The room was a complete and utter embarrassment. A maze to walk through, and if you fell down, you might not be found. On November 11, I wrapped..barely…I finished the final post only moments before the deadline. I was happy with how the space transformed, but that was in the old house. Yup, my pretty little office is gone like the wind. I thought about an office redo for this year’s ORC, but if you thought my last office before was bad, you ain’t seen nothin’ yet. This one is a mic drop like Beyoncé at the VMAs. No way, no how. Besides, I just wrapped the Decorist DesignOff living room makeover yesterday. I needed to keep this baby small. Low budget. I needed to pick a tiny room.

I’ve been looking around the new house for the past couple weeks playing eeny meeny meiny moe. Being that it was built 30 years ago, there was a lot of eenies to choose from. I landed on the main floor powder room. I mean, it’s a powder room, right? How difficult can a 30 sq. foot room be?

An easy out would have been to use the flooded basement, oh ya, did ya hear? The Boy flooded the basement. I came home one night after work and my house looked like this…

House Of Hipsters flooded basement

Yep, my finished basement…albeit a bit dated looking…in my brand new house was ruined. Carpet…gone. Drywall…gone. Lighting…toasted. Although that ugly fireplace remained unscathed. I drank a lot of wine that night and got to watch any TV show my pretty little heart desired. Marathon of Sex in the City? Sure honey, that’s my favorite. Can I rub your feet? Get you a hot towel for your neck? Refill on the wine? Let’s top you off.

Anyhoo, gutting and renovating the entire basement plus furnishings for The ORC was not in the cards or the budget folks…especially not after buying a house. BUT since I had a contractor here for repairs, I decided to take on yet ANOTHER reno for the One Room Challenge (I like to keep it spicy around these parts) and that is the tiny powder room on the main floor. The bathroom that my children use on a daily basis…really the one everyone uses. I mean cuz, why not, right?

Our painter Thomas Paint referred us to Gerry Reinhardt Renovations, and that pretty much bring us to today. Gerry has agreed to not only take on the bathroom makeover, but he’s also agreed to deal with me. See, I’m not the average bear. I don’t waltz into a project wanting your standard vanity from your local big box store. No sir-ee bob. I like to make things a wee bit more difficult.

See, I bought this little antique cabinet from an estate sale a few months back, and I’ve been trying to find a home for it. If you want to get technical, this is exactly where I was hoping it would wind up, but I didn’t think making over this room would be so easy to swing. And it wasn’t..it took a flooded basement to get here, BUT it’s H-A-P-P-E-N-I-N-G people! It’s happening!

Antique cabinet from local estate sale will be converted into a vanity

The cabinet is in pretty rough shape, but I think with a little TLC we can make it work. And check out those brass lion heads! I about died when I saw them. A coat of black paint, and I’m sure they make some sort of water proofing stuff to slather on it…right? BTDubs, if you have any advice on this, I’m all ears.

The Boy is letting me splurge a bit, so I’ve partnered up with Clé Tile to give this room the extra oomph it needs. I want something truly unique for flooring. Like I want someone to open the door to this bathroom and forget they need to pee. I want my guests to want to hang out in this little jewelry box of ERMERGERD! I explored many avenues, but Clé Tile gave me that wow factor I was searching for. Now if I can just decide on pattern. Here’s my narrowed down list.

Clé Tile and House Of Hipsters have partnered up to renovate a powder room. I want this to be a truly unique powder room that is stunning. The look of a jewelry box.

So what do you think? Can Gerry handle me and my crazy? Will everything arrive on time? Will we run into issues with the tiny space? Only time will tell. Check back next week for an ORC update. Hopefully I’ll have my mood board ready, hard hat on and sledgehammer swingin’! Wish us luck…well, wish Gerry luck!

And be sure to stop over to the One Room Challenge link up to check out all the other participants spaces, and a big thank you to Linda from Calling It Home for putting this extravaganza of bloggery together.

1. ariel October 5, 2016

Girl this is going to be one hell of a ride! two renos?! why not?!

• kyla October 5, 2016

Well, technically three…there’s a bathroom in the basement as well. I should be committed. But, only the main floor powder room will be in the ORC. I’m crazy, but not that crazy =)

2. Carol @ CAD INTERIORS October 5, 2016

I can’t wait to see this redo! All great tiles to choose from, but I especially love the Zenith pattern. The Cubicon is unique and has lots of depth though… Oh my goodness, flooded basement?!

3. Omg #5 Zenith is such a show stopper!!

So sorry to hear about the basement, good luck with the challenge!

• kyla October 5, 2016

Where have you been??? I’ve missed you!

4. Brittany Goldwyn October 5, 2016

Kyla, I absolutely loved your office transformation. I can’t wait to see what you do with these spaces, ORC or not! I love “cigar shop”…reminds me of all of the beautiful tiling we saw in Istanbul!

• kyla October 5, 2016

Cigar Shop is a beautiful tile! Who am I kidding, they are all gorgeous!

5. Dominique Paolini October 5, 2016

ZENITH!

6. Amanda October 5, 2016

Oh my Lord, that TILE! I am drooooooling all over my keyboard. Can’t wait to see what you do!

7. Maria Brittis October 5, 2016

You are going to rock this One Room Challenge, I love the tile you picked and in love the the cigar shop.
    Maria

8. Sarah October 5, 2016

Oh my, can’t you just have ALL of the tile?? Haha! If I had to choose I think the cigar shop one if my favorite! Can’t wait to see how it all turns out!

9. heather October 5, 2016

Oh my gosh. I’m already in love!

10. Julia October 6, 2016

That Alhambra tile would look amazing with the details on your antique cabinet. It’s busy, but really, really fabulous. Found you through your ORC link, can’t wait to see your progress!

11. Iris Nacole October 6, 2016

Oh boy, it sounds like you have a lot of your plate! Wishing you luck and sanity with it all. As for the tile choices, I am really drawn to three and four. I’ve actually been looking for a pattern similar to the two, so maybe one of those will end up in my powder room too! Can’t wait to follow along with your progress!

12. Breanna Bertolini October 6, 2016

I don’t know how you’re going to choose a tile pattern! This is space is gonna look fab!

13. Brit | House Updated October 6, 2016

Yes, splurge on that tile! I like Casablanca and cubicon, but really any of them are great. This is going to be so, so good. Because all your rooms are.

14. Melissa George October 6, 2016

I love all those tiles, but #6 would fulfill my art deco dreams!

15. Thalita October 6, 2016

haha I also chose to go for small room (small budget) being that we have a whole house being renovated! I am obsessed with your flooring choices and insanely jealous also. You’re putting my powder room to shame already!

16. Angela, Blue i Style October 7, 2016

Wahooo this is going to be good! I did a wall of black and white graphic tile in my master bathroom during the last ORC, so I’m already in love with the direction you are headed!

17. That cabinet is amazing!! Can’t wait to see which tile you are going with…personally, I’m in love with 5 but all of them are terrific!

18. April R - Uncookie Cutter October 8, 2016

All those tile samples are just gorgeous, can’t wait to see what you choose!

19. You’re right…that cabinet is fabulous! Sorry about the flooded basement – sometimes being a homeowner just sucks! We can’t wait to follow your progress over the next 5 weeks!

20. Ruthie October 10, 2016

I’m so excited to see what you do with this space! I’m obsessed with all of those tiles! I can’t wait to see which one you go with!

21. Jen @ Fresh Crush October 11, 2016

This is going to be amazing! Sorry about the basement though. What a buzzkill. I’ve been wanting to get tiles like that in my house for so long — but after OUR big reno we’ll have to wait until we build up the funds again — so I will live vicariously through you!! I can’t wait to see what you do with that vanity! 🙂

22. Jenny @ Refresh Living October 12, 2016

Man oh man – I’m sure you’ll be so happy that basement was flooded….once this is all done! I love tile 3, but I’m a tad bit impartial to the name Alhambra because I lived in Granada for for awhile, and love the Alhambra!

23. Allison October 13, 2016

My votes on 5 🙂 I love the modern look with ur old school vanity piece. But that’s just me. Oh and for ur ugly fireplace. Ever consider painting in at white and throwing a mantle shelf on there. Again…..may not be ur thing. But that’s what I see. I love re decorating. Looks like a lot of fun! Good luck

24. […] How has a week passed? Can you riddle me that? When you’re knee deep in the One Room Challenge, time flies when your swinging sledgehammers. Gerry and his team are hard at work and so am […]

25. Natural Spa Factory October 20, 2016

Wow Kyla, what a project to wrap your head around! We can’t wait to see how the reno of your powder room unfolds, Number 4: Cigar Shop is divine! And has a really chic vibe too. Enjoy the reno!

26. […] started out as a blah, boring, beige and brown bathroom, is now transforming into what dreams are made of. Gerry has been kicking some serious […]

27. Amy @ Love On Sunday October 27, 2016

EEK! I’m back tracking an catching up on all your ORC posts. LOVE the tile selection! xo

28. […] it’s gorgeous, but totally expected. I wanted more. Push the envelope. Remember in Week 1 and Week 2 when I said this bathroom makeover was going to slay like Bey? This was the One Room […]