House Of Hipsters is Moving!!!!!

Woah! Dude! Where on Earth have you been? Are you alive? Are you still blogging? WTH? Well, shizzz just got real you guys! House Of Hipsters is moving…like we are packing everything up in boxes and gettin’ along little doggies, we’re outta here. What am I talking about? Confused? Here’s the deets.

Last summer, The Boy sent me a listing for an over the top Mid Century Modern home, in our price range, in a sweet area. The house was, hmmm…how do I say this? Not good. In fact, I think my exact words were, “This place is MCM overload.” Apparently there was something as too much MCM. The kiddos were napping so I poked around a bit more. Low and behold, I hit the motherload! The house I knew had to be mine. Open concept, Mid Century Modern, glass panels for rails on the stairs, totally impractical and scream, “money pit”. Yup, I had to have it.

Gorgeous Mid Century Modern home built by Milton Schwartz.

Jaw on the floor? I know right??? There was some reno report on the listing that I could request if I input my email address and phone number. And of course within minutes the real estate agent was calling me. Our first question was, “What’s wrong with the house?” In no way shape or form should a house like this sell at this price.

House of Hipsters loves a Mid Century Modern Home buy that is not what we are buying, and this is why. House of Hipsters loves a Mid Century Modern Home buy that is not what we are buying, and this is why.

Turns out, the house was in the hands of a trust and there was no emotional attachment, it just had to be sold. It was originally built by Milton Schwartz, famed MCM architect of The Dunes Hotel in Vegas and many other Chicago buildings. I was intrigued, so we scheduled a showing, and I hoped and prayed this was the house…MY HOUSE!

We walked in, and it literally took my breath away. A ranch with a walkout basement on 2 acres of beautiful land that backed up to a forest preserve. Soaring ceilings, funky angles, bright natural light, MCM heaven! But there was a problem…which seems to be an overall problem with MCM homes..lack of bedroom space. The masters are perfect, but the others are tiny little closets. Whomp. Whomp. This home was advertised as a 4 bedroom, when in reality it was a 3 bedroom with a den. That sealed the deal. We needed a master, 2 bedrooms for the 4 foot monsters who run the house, 2 home offices, and 1 good sized guest room since our visitors tend to stay for 2 plus weeks.

My heart was crushed. We looked at a few more homes, but never really found anything that fit the bill. We decided to stay put, but one afternoon over the holidays I drank afternoon coffee…that makes for a long, sleepless night. I glanced at my iPad and opened the real estate app. There it was. Big enough, top of our price range, but no remodeling. There was an extra bedroom for my office with a huge walk-in closet for my photography studio and plenty of land to boot. It was traditional, but not a new build. It wasn’t a 1950’s MCM masterpiece, but rather 1980’s vintage…although it was not what I expected, it was perfect. House Of Hipsters was going traditional…I guess the 80’s are trending right now.

House Of Hipsters is moving and going traditional!

I’m so sorry for the month long radio silence, but we didn’t want to announce the grand plans until everything was squared away. Which hopefully has happened. I promise not do it again. Pinky swear! We close in a couple months, and the ONLY thing I’ve wanted to talk to you about is THIS. Makeover plans for each room to come! I can’t wait to share more. I’ll also be using the hashtag #HausOfHipsters (since The Boy is German) on Instagram for updates.

1. Mary February 2, 2016

Watching you work on the MCM would have been cool. But I bet you fix the Traditional up to look amazing also. Congrats!!

• kyla February 4, 2016

It’s a traditional meets modern mission!

2. Dharma February 2, 2016

Bon Chance! Cannot wait to see it all unfold….80s style 🙂

• kyla February 4, 2016

THANK YOU!!!!! I’m so excited for this fun new adventure!

3. Holly Young February 2, 2016

You will be a busy gal…good luck with the move!

• kyla February 4, 2016

Thank sHolly! I need all the luck I can get!

4. joanna // jojotastic February 2, 2016

woohoo! congrats! (and welcome back)

• kyla February 4, 2016

Ha! It’s about time, huh? =)

5. Amanda LovesDesign February 2, 2016

No interior shots of house #2? Such a tease ♡ 😉

• kyla February 4, 2016

I know! I’m such a meany =)

6. Whitney Shortt February 3, 2016

I love it! Congratulations and I can’t wait to see what you do with it

7. tableandhearth February 3, 2016

Eeeek!!!!! So exciting and it’s gawgeous friend!! Looking forward to this! (so many exclamation points!!!)

• kyla February 4, 2016

THANK YOU!!!!! I”m super jazzed and excited! I have some many plans in my head…can’t wait to get started!

8. Maggie Overby February 3, 2016

Such fun, I love a new/old/80’s/any house.(Good thing because we move a LOT.) I’m excited to see the progress because I know your stamp on any house will make it great. Congatulations!

• kyla February 4, 2016

I hope so! I’m going to need moral support!

9. barbara February 3, 2016

Too bad the MCM didn’t work out…..it was glorious. Much happiness in the other abode\

• kyla February 4, 2016

I know! I am still kinda bummed, but this will be fun to transform to MCM On the inside =)

10. YAY!!! I’m so stinkin excited about this. Can’t wait to see more. Room by room please!

11. Laura Irion February 5, 2016

SO EXCITING! I can’t wait to see pictures of the inside and what you do with it! The landscaping is amazing!! It will be so fun to see your “boho” (HA!) style blend with the traditional house. Woohoo!! Good luck with the move!

12. Brittany February 9, 2016

Oh YAY! Exciting! Looking forward to following your makeover. I’ve been in my house for a year now–I’m starting to get antsy. 😉 The 80s house is really lovely and stately, and all those windows! You will make it funky/fresh/awesome. Congrats!

13. Alexis Cunningham February 10, 2016

Finding the perfect house is really difficult but you did it! You have found the perfect house! I really love the style of this house and the fact that it is so huge! I really think that you are moving to an amazing place. Me and my boyfriend are now looking for a house and I am going crazy because we can’t find anything good for now and we are looking for more than a month now! I hope that we will have your luck. Congratulations! Have a smooth move! 🙂

14. […] that the move is drawing near, my focus is on lighting, and not just any lighting…I’m talking […]