Master Bedroom Makeover Blues errrrr…I Mean Navy

Do you guys ever get all gungho about a home decor project, get frustrated, have a freak out session, and then procrastinate? Erm, please say yes. Please tell me I’m not the only one with my head in the sand. See, a long time ago, I posted a picture of the state of my master bedroom. It was one of those before shots that I said may never have an after. I was keepin’ it real. That particular post was actually the start of the “I Make Emily Henderson Cry” series. A couple weeks ago, I received an email regarding that post, and I was asked to see an after. Very exciting, so let me tell you, this project (and the pressure) is on. It has to be perfection. Utter and complete perfection.

I found some base pieces that I’m absolutely loving, and I’ve asked my girl Jennifer Harrison AKA @FleaMarketFAB for some design advice. I mean, let me tell you, thank god for Instagram. That’s how we met see, we were both featured in this Domaine Home Instagram Challenge post, and the rest is history. We’ve been IG besties ever since. If you don’t follow her fantastic feed, you must. Stop what you’re doing right now and go check her out, but come back because I need some advice.

Still with me? Cool. Anyhoo, back to this bedroom makeover madness. I have a few base pieces, but when chatting with Jen, she said it might be a bit too masculine. After feeling a tiny bit crushed, I’m going to have to wholeheartedly agree with her. I think it’s a one way road to Testosterone City and Colin Farrell is mayor. Not that that is a bad thing, but no wonder The Boy likes it so much. What’s up bro. Fist bump but in a classy kinda way.

Mid Century Modern Bedroom Makeover

Ever since that conversation, I’ve been perusing Pinterest for some inspiration, and I think that caused even more confusion in my noggin. Everything is just soooooooo pretty! ERMERGERD! Can’t I just have 17 master bedrooms? I mean seriously, does one really need a kitchen? I’ll take one with pretty pops of color. One with neutrals and grays. One with soft pastel pinks and add in some black and white. One with layers of amazing textiles. Once in clean white with accents of black and maybe a splash of neon pink…oh, you get the picture. Seriously Pinterest, you are a beast that I love to hate.

Jen warned me my palette was going to change ten millions times before we finished the space, but I’m trying not to let that happen, so I need some help you guys. The pieces I’d really like to keep are the Kent Coffey dresser (because seriously, I’m in love with it) and the navy velvet tufted headboard…mainly because I just bought the bed. However, I think the curtains are too heavy, and I need something lighter to girlie the space up a bit. Jen mentioned accenting with coral and that sounds pretty amazing.

Jen also asked me if I was in to trends. My answer was absolutely not. I am not the biggest fan of walking into a store and buying a room set with all the fixins. I just don’t like knowing that my neighbor and my neighbor’s neighbor and everyone else and their mother and their cousin Larry has the same exact space as me. Maybe it’s because I use to work in the marketing department for a furniture store that sold complete sets. Maybe I like my space to be my own…something that’s memorable. And this folks is why home decor, for me, can be a daunting task. She asked me, do you like moroccan rugs? Kilim? Brass? YES! YES I DO JEN! OMG! Sadzies! I just came to the realization I like trends. Am I an unhipster hipster? I swear, I liked it before it was cool. So what now? I mean, every apartment in Logan Square probably has a Persian rug in their bathroom. Ugh!

Well, this was my solution. I’ve resorted to buying a ton of random things that don’t match in search of inspiration. Otherwise known as the dumbest idea known to man, and I’ll probably end up opening an Etsy store by the time this is all said and done. But I’m in search of finding that one piece to design a room around. Finding my muse. My office is beginning to look like a hobo lives in it. A pair of lucite lamps and vintage green serape from the latest Chairish Instasale (both beautiful BTDubs). A vintage thermos and other lodge gear from Brimfield. A Saarinen side table from Scout. A beautiful Hmong appliqué textile from Thailand. It’s like I’m in the choose your own adventure of home decor bedroom makeovers. There’s so many options, but I can only choose one. I love them all and unsure of which way to go. If I choose them all, well, let’s just say, it will be a hot mess.

Here are some of the questions I’ve been asking myself. You already know I have the Kent Coffey dresser which is staying. My master bedroom is quite large 22′ X 16′, so I will need yet another dresser. Probably a lowboy??? Do I try to track down the 9 drawer dresser to match my set or do I mix it up? If I mix it up, do I try to find something similar or totally different? What about the color? See, this is the biggest problem with loving Mid Century Modern furniture. They don’t make it anymore and you basically have to get lucky on eBay or hope the estate sale gods show some mercy. To boot, I’ve put myself under a timeline which means time’s a tickin’.

Then I tell myself, ok lady, you need to mix it up because the only matching lowboys you’ve found were in California, New York and Florida…shipping would be a pain in the arse, not to mention expensive. So, if I mix it up, what about the nightstands? Do they match? Do I stick with wood? Are they both different? Are they painted? Are they nontraditional? Are they super funky? Are they campaign style? I mean, they still have to function for us. I guess that’s my biggest qualm. I’d like one drawer. The Boy has only the essentials on his side…large landline phone (blerg, I know, so ugly), digital alarm clock, task lamp, and really ugly plastic purple cup of water from my college days. My side is matching the brass task lamp, little vase with a feather, a cubby chucked full of random magazines, books, and iPad, and a drawer full of random hand lotions, spare change, a tennis ball (for my foot) and a bunch of other random things that I either have been too lazy to throw away or don’t have a good place to store. Don’t judge, you all have one of those drawers in your home. And yes, I might have three.

So what do you think? Anybody have opinions? Favorite colors schemes? What do we think about navy? I’d love to hear what you’re thinking.

Linking up with My Fabuless Life   The Turquoise Home   Fry Sauce and Grits

1. Ashley@Biggerthanthethreeofus February 23, 2015

I would mix up the wood. Go white with the nightstands or low boy. I ADORE navy! I’d say go for it!

• kyla February 23, 2015

I think mixing it up is the way to go as well! Thanks Ashley! It can be so confusing and trying to make a mood board out of furniture that doesn’t exist can be difficult.

2. laura irion February 23, 2015

OH man! I feel your pain!!!! I wish I had good advice for you (although navy and coral sounds brilliant to me. Maybe with a little bit of cream and blush?) but we all know I’ve been having this same stand-off with my family room for a year now. And then my bedroom is the opposite problem- I know exactly what I want to do (all white, surprise, surprise) and don’t have a dime in the budget! Actually having some money to devote to a project creates its own problem though, doesn’t it? Now you have to narrow down the infinite choices in the world. It’s so hard when you look at a space all the time to commit to something. It’s easy to love it for the .5 seconds you spend with it on Pinterest but to live in it…that’s a whole ‘nother thing. How’s that for a lot of words and no advice??! All I have for you is empathy I guess today. Hahah! But you’ve gone to the right place- Jen is UHMAZING and I know she’ll steer you right. As always, can’t wait to see!! And dude, seriously, that headboard. WOW. I imagine that would make Emily Henderson cry tears of joy. Niiiiice!!!

• kyla February 23, 2015

Yes! That headboard was my nod to her. I’m so weird! I can’t wait for it to arrive!

3. Gilly @ Colour Saturated Life February 23, 2015

My question to you is does it matter if it is masculine? If you love it what does it matter? Does there need to be a touch of feminine for it to work? I am not sure I totally agree with changing it, you obviously liked the mood board you created. I say go with what makes you jump up and down all excited……I know when I am onto a winner when I get all giggly about what I am creating….find that and you will be onto a winner!

• kyla February 23, 2015

After seeing it all together, ya, I think it does. I need something to girlie it up. I’ve been on the fence ever since I hung those curtains. They are awesome, but they are also really heavy. Something wasn’t quite right about them and I think it’s that they are so masculine. I think if I want to add in some fun textiles, I need to lighten the look. It’s so confusing though.

4. marjan February 23, 2015

Love the curtains. Please tell me where you found them.

5. Jonna @ Lovely Rubbish February 23, 2015

I vote mix it up! I think coral curtains would definitely make the room less masculine. Good thing about bringing a pop of color to the room via curtains is they can always be replaced. Maybe try stepping away from the master bedroom madness for a little while, and when you get back to it you will have a fresh start. I have to do this when I work on a big project and get over whelmed!
    I think it will turn out exactly how you are wanting, Good luck!!

Jonna.
    🙂

• kyla February 24, 2015

This is true! Curtains are easily replaceable. I think stepping away from it for a week is a good idea. Although everyone’s comments are really helping me in confidence and motivation. Thanks for stopping by Jonna!

6. Jennifer @ Brave New Home February 23, 2015

I think you can totally mix woods and whites. I have a wood dresser and white nightstands. I think white furniture blends into the walls especially when they’re white. I love navy and teals. I think with some flowers, some rounder items (mirrors, vessels, etc.), and a feminine print or two the space will have some feminine flare in no time. I personally really gravitate towards more masculine spaces, too and like the one you created. I’m guessing you really like pattern on the curtains but perhaps maybe something velvety to add some softer textures?

• kyla February 24, 2015

You’re right. I think so many people only see the full furniture sets and can’t see past that. I’m still on the fence with the curtains. They are really heavy in the room and floor to ceiling. Jonna’s comment reminded me curtains are really easy to change out. It does help to see it all on a mood board. Yesterday I was walking past a vintage store for lunch and saw a Saarinen style side table and scooped it up. I’ve also been eyeing large circular mirrors. So I think you are right on with the rounded items. Thanks for chiming in Jennifer! You opinion means so much to me!

7. Eco Stores Paul February 24, 2015

I really dig that teal bedroom in your post, such a lovely colour for a bedroom

• kyla February 24, 2015

I know! I was loving it too! Thanks for stoping by!

8. Colleen Pastoor February 27, 2015

Awesome inspiration! Why not do some bright white curtains with metallic detail? I saw some gorgeous ones with pom poms, and different trims at the top of the curtains and they were amaaazing. I’m a navy fanatic, we have a lot of it in our home- I’m way on board with this inspiration!

9. […] decor, you’re a tricky little bugger. Last week a reader advised me to take a step back from my bedroom makeover. I took that advice, and I’m glad I did. Thankful for your comments, I’m seeing this […]

10. emily March 1, 2015

i love hearing you creative process! navy is a classic and i always feel like it goes with any other color…i pretend it’s a neutral. 🙂 so go for it!

• kyla March 1, 2015

Thanks Emily and thank you for stopping by! It’s always nice to see your lovely face here =)

11. Kelly March 4, 2015

LOVE the Navy — and I think mixing it up with some of the light beiges, grays and white would be all kinds of awesome sauce (like in the last picture). #swoon

• kyla March 5, 2015

Thanks so much Kelly! Ya, navy seems to be my new black. Thanks so much for stopping by!

12. Jenn @ My Fabuless Life March 4, 2015

Mine has been in process for over two years, so you are not alone!! I love all of the inspiration, I can’t wait to see the final result!!

• kyla March 5, 2015

Thanks Jenn! I really hope mine doesn’t take 2 years. But yes, it seems like it takes that long since I tinker and tinker and tinker with it until I finally think it’s right…and then I just tinker with it some more. LOL!

13. […] And I still want to take a sledgehammer to my mantle, but I haven’t the budget with the master bedroom makeover in progress. Nor do I think we can survive another reno after the patio. Not now anyway. I’m […]

14. […] my bedroom, my office is the one room where I spend a good portion of my time (sad, but true). When I was […]