I Make Emily Henderson Cry

Over my break, I kinda stepped back from the old bloggety blog and took one of the views from 40,000 feet. Yikes, I sound so corporate. But I did, and something very noticeable stood out to me. House Of Hipsters took a weird turn from home decor to being more DIY driven. Wait, what??? How did that happened? Don’t get me wrong, I love the DIYs, cocktails and recipes, but I need to get a bit more home decor back into the loop.

If you were one of my original readers, you may remember a little series I started called, “I Make Emily Henderson Cry”. If you don’t, you can read more here, here and here. I’ve explained in the past that there are several nooks of perfection in my home, and then there are nooks of utter and complete horror. I picture Emily knowing these nooks exist, and she sits in a beautifully organized, colorful closet, crying sweet salty tears of sadness. Somewhere in Hollywood, this poor woman is in disarray and has no idea why. Maybe it’s because Orlando left her for Homepolish. Maybe it’s because Charlie Hendo smeared his cute baby hands over her white leather poufs. Maybe it’s because she lost a button on her favorite floral blouse. No my dear, it’s not. Alas sweet kitten, it’s because I can’t for the life of me figure out how to style my nooks of disaster.

The evidence is pictured here. In my living room. It screams, “Don’t look at me! I’m hideous!” So what did I do about it? Well, I can tell you one thing, I’ve been sitting here for the past 4 months asking myself that same question.

Reading Nook Before

MORE AFTER THE JUMP

Don’t get me wrong. All the elements are here for the perfect nook; it’s just taken me some time to figure it out what exactly was wrong with it. Styling is everything, and that is evident here. I started by first placing the chair in the corner with a muted floral pillow. OK, it’s a start. It’s a great Mid-Century Modern chair in velvet navy. I would get a smile and a cute nudge in the shoulder from Em Hen. Good choice! Approving smile and nod.

The floor lamp is orphaned lighting that keeps moving around the house. It hasn’t quite found its home, and even though I kept it in the nook, I still don’t think it’s quite right. It’s rubbed bronze and looks like a tree branch up close. The West Elm brass side table is a piece Emily Henderson uses quite often in her room decor, so I knew I couldn’t go wrong. I added that too. See, like I said, all the elements are here. There’s a solid foundation, but something was missing.

It sat like that for a long time. That is until I pulled the trigger and snapped up a fabulous Franco Albini rattan ottoman. Thank you eBay! Again, I took a step back and contemplated some more. Hmmm. Maybe some greenery would help? I could finally buy that fiddle fig tree I’ve always wanted! Shazam! Everything looks better with a fiddle fig tree, right? WRONG! One, it silently screams for it’s life every time I near it. It’s lost half it’s leaves (that are brown), and I just can’t quite seem to make it happy. It’s real name should be fickle fig tree. I did however put it in a pretty chevron planter from Terrain. Hopefully I receive some bonus points to offset whatever mistakes I’m making with this poor little guy.

I finally decided to sit in the perfect navy velvet chair to channel Emily. Surrounded by all the pieces she has suggested, I concentrated on all the episodes of Secrets From A Stylist. The answer was there, I just needed to focus on her words. A voice whispered in my ear, “This space needs height.” My mind raced. A book shelf? Floating shelves? A white campaign style dresser? Nope, nope, nope. Artwork? Maybe, but how much. This is the same wall my TV hangs from, and The Boy’s OCD would kick into high gear with a large gallery wall surrounding his precious. Since I was planning to purchase the Souk Rug from West Elm, I knew I couldn’t go crazy with artwork. Budget was key, so I started to shop the house.

Reading Nook After

These two pieces by Beth Hoeckle are used by my girl crush quite often, and they were hanging in my office. I asked The Boy ever so sweetly to rehang them for me in my sad nook. He suggested a bit further left from the wall, but I didn’t listen. In hindsight, I should have. They need to be moved out another foot or so to the left. If you are reading this honey, you know what to do! And you can also do the “I Told You So” song and dance. I deserve it.

I removed the sad fiddle fig tree to a different corner of dispair with hopefully a bit more light, and replaced it with an oversized turquoise glass vessel from Crate and Barrel. To keep the eye going up, I added in a few branches from Terrain. I think this look is much “lighter” than the fig tree. I still don’t know if the lamp is quite right. We thought about moving it to the other side, but it blocks the artwork. It’ll do for now until I find something a bit more perfect.

So what do you guys think? Do you like it? Have any suggestions to make it better? Have any floor lamps that you think might be better? Let me know in the comment section! I’d love to hear from you.

Reading Nook After

1. I love the direction that you are going. I think you are right on the lamp… a different would probably be better.

These might work:

Also, what about adding some texture to the window with a side curtain? I’m not sure if that can be done with your aesthetic or not. It looks like you have a mantle on the right?

• kyla January 7, 2015

OK< I am truly in love with that lamp form Crate and Barrel. I can't put my finger on what is wrong with the tree branch lamp. Maybe it's the shade? It has seriously lived in like every room in the house and it's never right. Maybe it's the height? I just don't know. Thanks for your suggestions! My eyes on on C&B!

2. laura January 7, 2015

Just 12 inches…it’s a beautiful corner!!!! laura

• kyla January 7, 2015

I know! I even contemplated moving them for the post in photoshop, but I decided to keep it real. HA! So glad you stopped by Laura!

3. Brandy Lea January 7, 2015

So happy the I Make Emily Henderson Cry posts are back!!!

• kyla January 7, 2015

I know! It’s been way too long, right!

4. Alesha Campbell January 7, 2015

I think the corner looks amazing but what about adding just a little something to the window, it just needs a little something else to make it pop.

• kyla January 7, 2015

We’ve gone back and forth on curtains, but keep saying we need to redo the mantle, so I’ve been holding off. If it gets pushed off another year, yes, curtains will be included for sure! I think it would soften that wall.

5. Frances January 7, 2015

The turquoise glass vessel is lovely there – ties in a lot of the blues. Love it!

• kyla January 7, 2015

Thanks Frances and thank you for stopping by!

6. Emily @ Table & Hearth January 7, 2015

That chair and that ottoman are so amazing they make me cry. Drawing a blank on what to do to the left of the chair (instead of fickleleaf fig or vase), maybe a stack of books? But as far as a floor lamp goes, this guy might snazz it up a bit, in any color, I just got it in copper for our office 🙂 http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=32243073#/

• kyla January 7, 2015

Oh I like that lamp a lot, and it’s a great price! And I also like that it is adjustable. Thanks for the recommendation lady!

7. Dyanna Littke January 7, 2015

she would add a furry throw for texture, a patterned pillow, a tray on the side table or ottoman, and yes, probably a book shelf with lots of color coordinating knick knacks:)

• kyla January 7, 2015

Ha! YES! YES SHE WOULD! She is kind of amazing with her pillows and throws. You crack me up!

8. emily January 7, 2015

love this post, and i love the changes you’ve already made! I would probably just add some drapery to the window…it would soften the blinds, add a cozy texture and finish the space! and, i like the lamp you have, but it might be too short and the shade seems a little top heavy. maybe something a little more modern, but still black…the black color really plays well with the picture frames!

• kyla January 8, 2015

Thanks for the advice Emily. Yes, I agree, the windows in that room need curtains so bad! I just can’t seem to decide what would look best in there.

• Emily @ Table + Hearth January 8, 2015

Maybe something with muted large stripes, all on the left side? That way you’d still have the wooden blinds. If the blinds could go, a simple roman shade would look good.

• emily January 8, 2015

you already have a lot of beautiful colors, so maybe something simple like a gray or white linen?

9. Nicki January 7, 2015

I am no designer, and trust me, I am sure I make Emily Henderson cry a lot harder than you do! But the minute I looked at that pictures, and before reading the entire post, the very first thought that came to my mind was that the window was bare. I noticed that above all else. You are headed in the right direction, overall it looks fab!

• kyla January 8, 2015

I know! The windows are bare! I can’t seem to make up my mind on what would be a nice fit.

10. Jennifer @ Brave New Home January 8, 2015

Ooh, so many good elements at work here! I think you were right on the money with getting in some height. I suck at staging/vignettes and make Ems bawl. So I’ve been waiting for those martini tables to go on uber sale and I checked West Elm today and they’ve actually gone UP in price and are listed as a Big Deal! How is an increase in price a better deal?

• kyla January 8, 2015

Wow! You’re right! They did go up. I wonder why they call it a Big Deal now? They have had a few emails recently for 20% off any one item.

11. Nicki @ T-shirt & Jeans January 8, 2015

Every element of this corner is just– so– cool! I love all of it. I’m not getting the full version of the rest of the wall, so I could be off, but I feel like there’s a lot of height with the window and lamp, and it’s needs some balance in the space above the branches. Not equally high, but if the lamp could be a bit lower, and the branches could be a bit higher-know what I’m sayin’? Maybe moving the art will solve that too. And curtains-yes! That would look great. Otherwise, SUCH a great corner!!

• kyla January 12, 2015

Thanks Nicki! Ya, it totally needs curtains. I’ve been telling The Boy but budget, budget, budget. Argh silly money! Having to be all responsible and such!

12. Sarah January 8, 2015

Love the chair and footstool and west elm table but yep, would do a curtain and a task lamp…either resting on brass table or floor one. I liked the plant more…maybe one that’s easier to care for 🙂 I love the idea of a sheepskin throw on chair with a Kilim type pillow 🙂 I always hate it when a corner feels off, love the post!

• kyla January 9, 2015

Oh yes! I love the idea of a sheepskin throw or kilim pillow! I know, it’s not quite there yet, but it’s getting closer! Everyone’s comments have been super helpful!

13. Liz January 10, 2015

I think the lamp’s perfect! I think it’s the shutters that have to be replaced by a curtain or something to make that corner more ‘soft’. And maybe another pillow cover, with some orange colors in it, to bring the chair and the art together?
    I love all the other stuff you have! The vase, the chair, the rug! All beautiful!

• kyla January 12, 2015

Thank you so much Liz! Ya, a different pillow might be better! Good suggestions!

14. Anna @Annabode January 11, 2015

I love that chair, and I think you have the makings of a truly gorgeous reading nook! I think you were definitely right about adding height, and the artwork is perfect. Although the ottoman is a-mazing, I’d actually move it somewhere else–I think it’s a little large and blocks the view of that gorgeous side table. I like the lamp a lot, but have you thought about a small arched one? Maybe a vintage ball lamp? But seriously, it’s beautiful!

• kyla January 12, 2015

Thank you my dear! I’m thinking a ball lamp would be really good. What I didn’t show you guys is the opposite side of the room (not finished yet) that has an arched lamp, otherwise, that would be perfect. And you’re right, the ottoman does kinda block that table. Hmmm. Who knew a nook could be so difficult! HA!

15. Alexis @ Persia Lou January 26, 2015

I love this series so much! Best thing ever. So many things I do to make the dear Em Hen cry.

• kyla January 27, 2015

Ha! I’m so glad you like it! It always makes me giggle.

16. […] posted my reading nook of disaster, everyone resounded in unison, “Add curtains!” For which I need to make happen, but as […]

17. Shavonda@SGStyle March 10, 2015

Well now im no Em Hen, but here’s my 2 cents. Then again you may not wanna listen bc im a total maximalist and i tend to lean on the more is more spectrum, but ill try to restrain a tad here…love the major elements here babes: chair, lamp, art, ottoman. Honestly i really think all that could be needed at this point are textiles. Im thinking a different pillow, a throw for sure and also i think a sheepskin to toss across the top of the ottoman. I think that would soften things nicely and add another textural layer. Have you considered moving the side table to the other side of the chair where the vase currently is? Perhaps that may work better? Also because Im a crazy plant lady id suggest maybe nix the vase altogether and add a modern plant stand with a snake plant where the side table currently is. Regardless this is def a corner id wanna hang in.

• kyla March 13, 2015

See, and now I’m going to start playing with this room again! HAHAHAHA! Textiles! Textiles confuse me. Mixing patterns and colors. I can build a good foundation but the textiles ALWAYS trip me up…one of the biggest reason for not drapes. Are the solid color? Patterned? Heavy? Sheer? Dark? Light? There are too many options to chose from. I see a couch, and I know immediately whether or not it’s my style. The rug was was a huge step for me. LOL! Thanks for stopping by Shavonda!